1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to throw black smoke

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by DBL, Mar 6, 2006.

1. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

how do i get my cummins 6spd to throw some thick black smoke???
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Put a heavy load on it, Make it bog down.
    or Waite until it is really cold out and go start it up with out pre heating it. lol
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

A power programmer for the computer should make it smoke like a house on fire if programmed properly! Seriously it helps alot with power and does create a good amount of smoke!
  4. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

tell me more. let me know what one to get and what to do with it
  5. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

if you granny it around town for a bit, then get on the highway, or going up a hill and gun it. You will get black smoke.

But this isn't really a good thing.

And careful with programmers such as banks, etc... as they can void your warrenty depending on the dealers take (or atleast cause headaches).

And you can't just remove them as they usually leave a footprint on the vehicles computer. (you would think if they didn't leave a footprint they would sell more, but that's a thread in it's self)
  6. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Injectors and a Edge Comp Box!!! xysport
  7. ynot_5_0

ynot_5_0 Member

Put some gasoline in it.....Should smoke for a little while anyway!
  8. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

so if i get a chip what one should i look for to get it to do this?
  9. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

I personally have the Quadzilla Xilleraider Race chip on my 04.5, and I only noticed black smoke on level three in between the tire smoke. Seriously though, our trucks (03+) don't smoke like the older ones. The only way to really make them smoke is to add more fuel with a chip and injectors. You do that though, you may fry the turbo. Usually at low rpms if I jam the throttle it lets out a nice cloud.
    Some Dodge dealers sell and install Banks products, so you may want to check that out so that you don't void the warranty. As far as what chip to go with, I would look at the Quadzilla, the Edge Juice (the Comp version for the Common Rails), or the BullyDog PowerPup. You may want to add an intake also and straight pipe the exhaust.
  10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

The way to get black smoke is run it so rich the fuel doesn't burn competely. So, tune it rich as heck and expect your milage to drop.

Grannying it then highway won;t work on a computer controlled truck (98+).

Seriously, black smoke is BAD and shouldn;t be strived for. That's like wanting 3 MPG.... Black smoke is wasted fuel, which is not only wasted money but wasted power.... think about it. Rigs smoke when they're under heavy load, dumping in lots of fuel but not running fast enough to use it all. You ever see a rig throw black at 70mph?

Do some research at the diesel forums first- dodgeram.com, dieseltruckresource.net, TDR, dodgediesel.net, etc.
  11. dodge

Although I dont have a dodge, I do know a ton about these chips. I would recomend eithor the bully dog or the edge. Bullydog was the new product of the year this year and the edge was the new product of the year last year at the sema show.... both are great. i personally run a bully dog. Talk to your dealer though first. My chevy dealer doesnt care if you chip it, they will still warrenty it. But check with your dealer@!
  12. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

ok this is a good point i just thought it looked really cool
  13. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

My 05 throws black smoke if you granny it then punch it. Not a continuous amount, but a good cloud.
  14. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a SuperChips programmer for my 2001 Cummins and love it! I bought mine from a local exhaust & auto performance dealer, however I know they are available through Ebay, Jegs, or almost any auto store should have some direction on where to get it from!

They are alot of fun!
  15. The superchip gives good power numbers, but the edge and the bully dog offer more options and therefore more cost. LCD screens and on the fly power adjustments are both great advatages to the edge and the bully dog!

16. motoxdk24

motoxdk24 Member

friend has a 95 ram 6 spd. since its a 12 valve with the mechanical injection pump he goes about 5 mph and shifts into 3rd and accelerates while riding the brake( bogs it) and i swear it blacks out a quarter mile or until he lets off the brake- its an awesome sight, hes also got a 4 inch exhaust. Alls he is doing is dumping in too much fuel and it wont burn ( or compress to combustion). ill try and get some pics of it- its funny when strangers in front of me stop because he blacks out the road-

by the way- you can basically watch your fuel gauge drop
    while you do it ( like 1/2 mpg) <--scarcasm
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  17. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I have heard to coat the inner manifolds (or some part of the exhaust) with canola oil! Anybody else hear of this? Sounds kinf of weird to me.
  18. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

I have Friends in my TDR group down here in CT that can seriously throw black smoke on demand! The other night it was hilarious . My friend turned right at a light and punched it a made ahuge Cloud of black smoke, and coming down from the oppisit direction was some hot head teenager in a rice burner flyin and he turned left into the cloud of smoke and Locked up his breaks at like 30 mph like as if he thought a car had exploded infront of him!!! O man it was the funniest thing i have ever saw i was laughing the whole ride home. :jester: :) :dizzy:
  19. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

coat your exhaust in any oil, motor oil, etc and you'll burn it off creating a blue smoke, and a potential fire hazard under the hood...

My 96 stock won't black smoke at all unless it's really cold and I floor it, then there's just a light hint of smoke on the exhaust, but you won;t see it unless you're looking for it. Had no smoke pulling a 10K lbs trailer.

Dodge will void the warranty if you chip it- they have tamper resistat labels on the connectors you need toinsert the chip/programmer into. Since they can;t void for the chip itself, they void if you tamper with/remove the labels which is completely legal.
  20. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

They also can tell if there was a chip because most chips leave some sort of footprint on the computer.