1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how to test western unimount cab side wiring

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mengle, Jan 2, 2015.

1. mengle

mengle Junior Member

So I bought a new truck for my fleet it's a 2000 ram 2500. It comes with a unimount bracket and is a 2 and 11 plug set up. My question is how do I test this wiring cab side to see it works. I don't want to buy a plow and realize I need all new wires cab side. I currently only have ultramount plows and I don't know anyone with a unimount plow.any ideas how I can test the cab side wires with out a plow?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Test light and the wiring diagram.
    But, if all you have is ultramounts, why get one odd ball set up? That might hurt in at some point later on

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Uni doesn't need the headlights connected to operate plow functions. You can actually just hook the motor relay up to a booster pack, (or booster cables on a veh battery) while the plow sits on the floor, and then plug in the controller and touch the red ignition wire to battery positive. Of course you need to plug in the grill plug (with small pins) to connect the plow to the controlller. Now you can do right, left and up functions (carfully) and then put it in float and push the lift frame down. Unlike the ultras which MUST have the truck side headlight harness and iso module connected to operate. (There is a way to bypass that on ultras but that's another thread...)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

He doesn't have the plow, just the trk with the plow wiring. I think he wants to make sure the truckside wiring is in good shape.

5. mengle

mengle Junior Member

Yes exactly i don't want to buy a used unimount for 1500 then have to spend another 1000 for truck side wires.if the truck side wires don't work I'm going to look at the ultra mount

6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Oh I c now what you want to do. That is a bit more of a trick. Would be easier to just hook up to a friend who has one of these plows.... You would need to first jump the two pins in the plug that activate the controller and then get someone to hold the control buttons while you probe the pins for appropriate power. And since it will be a two plug system you would have to figure out what pin should be hot when.... Again I think hooking up to a plow would be easier...