1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to test solenioids

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by birddseedd, Oct 23, 2014.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

I took out the solenoids, running the contorls did not show anything visible happening in the valves. how do i test them?
  2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

By applying 12 volts to them.
  3. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

what should I see? when i ran the controls nothing happened. i know the up had to be working because when i did get the motor to spin the plow did start going up.
  4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Small pin in the bottom of valve, piston inside should push up and spring right back. But why test solenoids if motor is not working. Is new manifold on?
  5. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

My western dealer showed me this trick. Take a 9 volt battery to the terminals on the coil and the valve should move. Wear safety glasses because you will need to look closely and there us usually fluI'd on the valve and it will shoot out. Should also note this is with the cartridge and coil not installed in the mainfold but with the coil on the cartride. I am assuming you are talking about the cartridges when you say solenoids, as there is only one solenoid.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014