1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to test Old Fisher pump

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by BoulderBronco, Jan 13, 2007.

1. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

So I have been posting alot recently trying to figure out what is wrong with my system (old belt driven setup.) It must be either the pump or valve. Anyway I just picked up a testing guage that goes up to 3000PSI in 50psi incriments. So I am ready to test the pump but don't know how to do it correctly. The problems come up when it gets warm so do I test the pressure at startup and then drive it around for twenty minutes and test again? Also will the pump warm up even though I don't have the plow hooked up and running the joystick? Any help with testing this would be much appreciated.
  2. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

as long as the belt is on the pump, it's going to keep the fuild moving and warm it up.
    consider if I remember right you say the problem is when the pump warms up, test it at both points so you can see how much it drops if it does.
    and you can always hook the plow run it, unhook a angle hose, and put the pressure tester on it. to test it.
  3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I would test it from an angle hose and see what you get. Then I would break the sonnection to the valve and hook directly from pump to guage. Start up and read it immediately before the pump relief opens. It should spike up around 1500 at least. If not then the internal relief is open.

If you get 1500 at the angle then break the lift cylinder connection and try that. Remember a plow needs much less pressure to angle then lift.