1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to test clutch fan ???

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jo2fst4u, Dec 11, 2010.

1. jo2fst4u

jo2fst4u Member

This is what I did (not sure if it's right or wrong)

Truck Cold at idle rolled up newspaper wont stop fan blade

Warm truck 10 min temp at half gauge Roll of paper stops fan blades.

I am guessing I need a new Clutch fan?

Whats your take? Did i test it right?

Thanks!

2. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

nope,clutch will only engage once the fluid hits the operating temp of the clutch. which depending on to many variables may or may not happen at idle.do you have a big hill or a big load nearby? Specs for the clutch? thermal gun to accuratly measure coolant temp? If more than three years old toss the sucker and replace with a electric unit, less parasitic drag which is 80% of the time compared to the small current draw when actually working.
    Plow blades can actually creat a backdraft effect on the radiator just like an airplane wing causing overheating at highway speeds. From past experience clutch fans on our plow trucks usually fail after 3 years. along with alternators. Our Fords all have xtended warrenties so ford picks up the dime to replace them for us :mechanic: