1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to tell if its the pump or motor?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Jaynen, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

I got an 8 foot acrtic plow that raises slow and weak.

I tested the electrical connections. I checked the valves and relief valve. Fluid is topped up and no air in the system.

Plow raises slow and weak. And the colder it gets outside the slower and weaker it gets. I cant lift the blade when stacking. I some times hear a crunching sound.

I am thinking its either the motor or pump. Is there anyway i can test them? Thanks.

2. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Cold fluid moves harder than warm. I'm betting the motor is tired.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well, what fluid is in it?
    What's the filter look like?
    What happens when you angle side to side lock to lock?

4. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

About the only way you can trouble shoot is to get a pressure gauge that can measure 1500 PSI, and hook it up with a tee fitting to a hose, then test the hydraulics.

5. dieselss

Actually, a gauge that goes to 3k is better

6. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Fluid is the correct fluid. Cant remember off the top of my head. Haven't checked the filter. Angles side to side fine but with a load on it then the angling is weak just like the lifting. As its lifting and starting to slow down the motor gets quiet. May that be a sign its the motor too?

7. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

A slow motor may still produce rated pressure with a good pump. 15-1800psi at only 1/2 gal a minute won't get you much performance. Possibly a filter but the description fits a tired motor.

8. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

And if it is the motor is it better to replace it with a new one or put new brushes in?

9. dieselss

The whole thing

10. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Okay thanks for all the quick replies. You guys really help out!

11. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Well i changed the motor but no difference. I charged my battery all night that didnt make a difference. I have checked for a filter but cant find one any where. Only filters i can find are on the valves and they are all clean like new. I am really stumped.

12. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

The filter is on the side of the pump you would have to take the motor back off pull 2 bolts lift the pump out you'll see the filter if its plugged clean it with brake cleaner make sure to drain all the fluid also get the fluid out of the cylinders. Jack up the a frame take the lines off at the pump put them in a bucket manually move the blade back and fourth imo I would change the pump if its original just for insurance purposes. P.s dont loose the o ring at the bottom of the pump

13. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Are you referring to an arctic plow? I pulled the motor and the pump and the pump mount and there is no screen anywhere. I took everything apart no screen and no where for a screen to go. Doesnt show up on the parts diagram either.

14. rjigto4oje

Very sorry i posted this assuming it was a western i did not read that far back on my dumbphone there has to be a filter it may be internal in the pump itself ill do some research and post again soon sorry for the mix up

15. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Did another test. When raising the plow as it starts to slow down the motor changes from high pitch to a lower pitch. The motor keeps running but plow stops raising. Then i was able to lift it the rest of the way by hand. When angling sideways i was able to grab onto the blade and almost stop it from angling. Motor kept running.

16. rjigto4oje

i was just on artics web site what model plow

17. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

M673f old. Its under hydraulics.

18. rjigto4oje

Ok let me check

19. rjigto4oje

Looks like its in the vavle block housing number 27

Screenshot_2014-12-12-14-00-56.jpg

Screenshot_2014-12-12-14-00-43.jpg

20. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Yup those screens are for the angle cylinders. Clean as a whistle. Same with the screens on each valve. Would a pressure relief valve adjusted wrong allow me to hold the plow back with my hands?