1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to tell if a truck has had a snowplow on it?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by exmark, Feb 20, 2010.

1. exmark

exmark Senior Member

Hey guys I was wondering what ways there are to tell weather a truck has ever had a snowplow on it. Besides the air dam being cut around for the mount. Thanks

2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

recent paint around the frame at the front of the truck, tow hook bolts moved or rust in a different spot, 01+ chevys have that central power block, often time that gets trimmed out to acomidate for the wiring, drivers side door by the window if there is any little dents from the joystick sitting on the panel, holes in the dash where handheld mounts might have been placed, oversized holes in the firewall for wiring for a salter to be run, and the easiest way, if it has an engine hour meter, find the total hours, total miles and do the math, anything around 25 or less, it must have been a service vehicle or the owner should have a good excuse for such a high amount of ideling...

3. exmark

exmark Senior Member

Alright thank you im going to be purchasing a 2500hd this summer and get it outfitted for the 2010-2011 snow season. This will be my first hd so im looking for everything making sure it wasn't someone's work truck. Im looking at 03 and newer is there anything on these models that would stick out.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Ask the owner?

5. exmark

exmark Senior Member

Yeah ill probably be doing that as well.

6. JJSLandscape

JJSLandscape Member

is it beat to sh*t? lol

7. matzke3

matzke3 Member

Typically a plow guy can tell. The rust marks from the former mount and any dash holes fro, the control are the best giveaway. Our motto is that its best to build a plow truck not buy one that way.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

NEVER use the jump block for power, it is not suitable. That is a good way to fry electronics and/or your alternator.

9. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

If there are holes in the frame, or you can see where their was a mount.

10. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

good to know....
    My mega blade was hooked up that way from a dealer, cant remember how I hooked up the boss when I installed it...

Is it ok to run small stuff off it like a spreader? My battery's are full between the front blade, back blade, salter, electric fans, electronic antiruster, stereo amp and an inverter...

I looked at it as it would draw power from both batteries.... But i kinda didnt think of it as hooked directly to the alternator so its drawing off it to right?
    :drinkup:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The voltage spikes are crazy at the jump lug. Most switches wiring motors etc are rated at voltages much higher then 12 volts it is the electronics that suffer. Batteries act as filters between the alternator, etc. I've found a dual post battery with aftermarket components connected to the unused posts to be the best way to hook up any aftermarket equipment particularly audio. In snowplow applications it also filters the truck's systems from the high amperage demands of plows, spreaders, etc. One of the reasons I sure of the new "black box" addition to the saltdogg control units.

12. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Check the floor for coffee stains.