1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to tell difference between older and newer 2 plug mvp

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Freshwater, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

If it has the bent steel cutting edge in center it's automatically the newer type right? Early 2 plugs had rubber like the 3 plugs?

2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

true. the curved edges are on the mvp+ and mvp3, and those have been multiplex from the get go.

If it has the rubber behind the gap, it's a unimount or ultramount MVP (not plus). If it's a unimount it would be relay wiring, unless it's been converted to isolation module. and an ultramount it would probably be 3 plug isolation module wiring. I can't remember if there were some early ultramount mvp's with relay wiring or not.

but if you are just wanting to know what to look for to tell if a plow is relay wiring two plug, or multiplex two plug:
    a multiplex control (whether it's a vplow or wideout or a straight blade) would just have a little 4 pin square connector, and the non multiplex mvp control would be the big round screw on control with 10 pins.

also, a multiplex plow has the motor relay out at the power unit instead of under the hood. there is actually a plow module out there at the power unit also.

3. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Thanks nealybird. That's music to my ears. I just found a good deal on a 2 plug mvp+ for my second truck. I'm pulling the trigger on it and a brand new plow for my truck.

I've owned both unimount 2 plug and ultramount 3 plug mvp. Taking the next step.

4. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

sounds great dude. yes, that one, and any new plow would be interchangeable. that's why they started calling the multiplex wiring plows 'fleetflex', because you can use any plow with any truck and any control.

5. jhenegh

jhenegh Member
    from Indiana

I'm going to piggy back here if I can:

I've got an early Ultramount 8' straight with the 2 plug relay system. I also have another early MVP Ultramount with the 3 plug iso system. Can I convert the MVP to the relay wiring and be able to run either plow off the same truck, with the addition on an in-cab controller adapter?

Thanks

6. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

The way I understand it, no. 3 plug to 3 plug works with an adapter. You can run both wiring on your truck though.

7. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

YES, if you convert the mvp PLOW to relay, and if you have relay mvp wiring installed on your truck, then yes you can run either plow, as long as you have both controls and the adapter.
    But you haven't said which type wiring your truck is set up with yet..

8. jhenegh

jhenegh Member
    from Indiana

I've got the relay setup on my truck right now for the straight blade. Haven't had a single issue with it and I've got a few extra relays of that type on my truck all the time for some other accessories.

Looks like this is the MVP relay wiring I might need? I see I'd also need the big round truckside controller connector harness too.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/121775812302?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  9. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

I'm not sure about that part #. I'm not familiar with it, and I don't find it searching Fisher's site.
    however, the part #'s I would figure (in Western) are 66611-1, which is the relay mvp plow side harness, that goes to all the coils, and up into the lights. and 66610 is your truck side main harness, that has the grill plug and comes into the cab, and has the ten wires and the screw on connector piece.
    But the battery cables on a relay mvp are also different than on a relay straight plow or an iso mvp, so I'm pretty sure you'll also need 66623 and 66624 battery cables.
    and then the adapter from the big screw on connector, down to the 6 pin straight blade control is a 66760K.

10. jhenegh

jhenegh Member
    from Indiana

You da man. Thank you sir!

11. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

no problem. thank you!