1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how to switch flash patterns

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Geary44, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

i was wondering if instead of using a push button style momentary switch to change the flash patterns in my whelen responder lp .... could just use another rocker switch to change the pattens??

2. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

3. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

that switch wont work ... where ever you bought your light should have lighter plugs with built in on/off buttons with pattern changers ...

4. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

my light bar is going to be permanently mounted so i want to have permanently mounted switches... what kind of switches would i need to buy ... and is it even possible?

5. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

i would like to have two permanently mounted switches, one to turn the light bar on , and one to switch through the patterns

6. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

I am not sure I 100% know what you are looking for, so forgive me if I ramble on about something you didn't ask about. If you want to be able to change patterns, we extend the flash pattern wire long enough and connect it to a 12v source with a small momentary switch. When the operator wants to change the flash pattern on the go he just has to bump that switch. Is that what you were looking for?

7. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

no problem to do, that is how we install most volunteer firemans lights in our area.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062496

we use these, but you could do it with any kind of spring loaded switch. You just want it so you can bump it and provide a quick 12 volt source and then have it return to an off position.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  8. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

9. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

i have no clue on how to wire a light bar. maybe i should just take it to a dealer and tell them what i want and save me the headache lol

10. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

There are plenty of guys with knowledge on here that can help talk you thru doing it, if you feel comfortable with auto electronics.

The switch you posted has its own flashers, something you shouldn't need.

The first switch you posted would work for turning that bar on. The way the flash patterns are changed is simply touching the flash pattern wire to a 12v source and then immediately pulling it away. Hence why a switch that is spring loaded to return to the off position would be best for the 2nd switch. You can probably find one that looks just like the one you posted so they match.

11. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

thank you very much

12. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

yea a regular rocker is necessary for power to the bar but you need a momentary switch to change the patterns. and it will be push to advance to the next patter hold to go to the previous.

you can run one power cable and split it to power both switches b/c the flash pattern only uses .25 amp or so to advance the pattern. the bar will only draw 8-10 amps i think or less. not super familiar with the responders.