1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to store ice melt on site?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by HotMountain, Oct 15, 2012.

1. HotMountain

HotMountain Junior Member

We are a residential operation. I was thinking rather than carrying the icemelt around why not have some form of a storage bin/box at the clients property which will be storing the ice melt. This way applications are easy and fast without handling bags each time.

My question is: Is anyone doing this kind of thing and do the bins need to be airtight to prevent clumping of ice melt? Or would a simple plastic box with lid from a hardware store do?

All input greatly appreciated.
  2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

why would you leave expensive material all over the place for others to use? how many bags do you use per storm? palletize it and load all with forks at 1 time....it will be easier to know how much you have on hand....
  3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That is a terrible idea for many reasons. What will keep the client from using it on their own or sharing it with neighbors? It will take longer to keep refilling the containers. Then there is the cost, storage and maintanence of said containers.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Don't forget, salt is a great ballast. If you take it all out of your trucks, then your going to have to put something else in to take it's place. I also agree with the other posts. Why leave your product in a bin on-site, to allow others to use as they see fit, instead of you the professional applying it, and getting paid for it. Last comment, look into the costs of containers for each property. Even small rubbermaid totes costs 6 bucks a piece, and the costs go up from there.
  5. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Sell bags to you customers, just be the delivery service so they don't have to carry heavy bags of ice melter. But don't ever consider leaving it for free unless you want it all to disappear.
  6. HotMountain

HotMountain Junior Member

Thanks everyone for feedback and suggestions. Very much appreciated. Instead I'm thinking carrying it in a proper box on the truck.