1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to stop plow from digging in on dirt drive

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by wsmm, Feb 22, 2011.

1. wsmm

wsmm Member

How can you keep the plow from digging in on a dirt drive. Lately here we just had a thaw and then an 8" snow. Plowing driveway and the blade dug in or droped into an ice patch real quick at a realitivelty slow speed. As a result, took out the "C" valve on my Meyers plow.

How can I prevent this from happening, other than not plowing?

Thanks
    Bill

2. flagstaffnewbie

flagstaffnewbie Junior Member

Having the same problem here

Bill-
    It seems that you and I are having the same problem. I have a 1/2 mile long dirt drive with 2-90degree turns and several elevation changes to contend with. Our last set of storms here dropped 6" of slush to start with and then 8" of actual snow with drifting up to 24". Since only the top 1" of the soil is freezing over during the night I cannot run the blade in "float" mode otherwise the weight of the blade causes the skid shoes to push through and then I end up grading the road with the blade instead of just removing the snow. I have found that carrying some of the weight of the blade (not floating the blade) helps but I still end up pushing dirt around if I am not quick on changing the blade height on the fly the second I feel it catching. Sorry for the long post. I hope that the pros around here offer a solution to our issue.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Back drag the dirt driveway.

4. flagstaffnewbie

I found a discussion on fabricating a yard guard on this site, not sure how to post links yet so just search for it. It looks like it might take care of the issues but that is for you to decide. I am puzzled as how to easlily backdrag a 1/2 mile dirt road with 24" drifts, but then again this is only my first season doing this so I have a pretty steep learning curve right now.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Slit a piece of heavy wall pipe lengthwise and make an attachment system, attach it over the wear edge creating a "gravel blade" that will slide over the surface.

6. stargazer

stargazer Member

Lose the shoes. Drop the blade and then lift just enough to take the weight off. Think ahead. As you go over a crest, lower the blade, then raise it as the truck goes over the crest. When you go into a dip or start an abrupt hill, raise the blade, then lower it as the truck gets into the dip or hill. Level ground is the easiest, but there is none around here.

If you begin to lose track, drop the blade and lift a bit again. Turn off the stereo, put down your window, and listen. You'll hear the gravel when you touch it.

Don't try to scrape clean, it's warm enough to melt fast if the ground is soft.

I do miles of dirt rd every storm. I don't like soft ground, but I've handled if for years and years.

Here is video (posted elsewhere also) of a gravel rd I do, but of course it's frozen and zero degrees in the video. That driveway is just a fraction of the gravel I plow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RJixgItw1s

7. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

get a back blade never worry about it again

8. stargazer

stargazer Member

Right, I'd love to see a back blade plow two feet of snow with deeper drifts. Give me a break. You can't drive through it, never mind trying to drag something while trying to drive through it. A real southern thing, little "snow" and small driveways and paved lots.

Just to be clear, I don't own one so I don't really know. Post a video of plowing two feet of snow with one, please.

Every video I see with a back blade is doing about 2 inches, which I don't even bother to plow.

9. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

drop your front plow 4in off the ground and go pull plow gets the rest

10. stargazer

stargazer Member

OK, that makes more sense, as long as the back blade can continuously throw to the side like a front blade. Otherwise, it's short pulls only.

11. flagstaffnewbie

Thanks for the tips Stargazer they are greatly appreciated. Quite a video to watch, you must be very familiar and comfortable with that dirt road. It looked like you were moving along at quite a good clip.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Stargazer; are you using a trip edge plow? There is a big difference between the performance of a trip edge and a full trip on gravel/dirt roadways.

13. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

That sounds like it would work pretty good, anyone else try this?

14. flagstaffnewbie

Search "yard guard" or "gravel guard" and you will find plenty of threads on that modification.