1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how to spread salt with no truck spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by HouseHitter, Nov 15, 2006.

1. HouseHitter

HouseHitter Junior Member
    from zone 4

does anyone use a push spreader for salt apps on drives or small lots? Do you just throw it in the back of your truck? Any tricks, do's don'ts?

2. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare Member

Fill up rubber maid tubs and scoop and throw with a big plastic cup or coffee container.

3. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

If you are going to use a push spreader, get a good one( Lesco for example). and buy the salt by the bag, it spreads easy in a push spreader.
    There is still some times that we still use that method.
    As far as putting bulk salt in your truck, I wouldn't. It tends to freeze up
    and is very hard to spread in a push spreader.

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The biggest problem with throwing salt from the truck is poor coverage. I would go with the push spreader and buy a good one that will last. Rubber tires for sure.

5. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 Senior Member

yea

Been doing it the last couple of years that way Now I have about 4smaller lots that will need it occasionly so i'm looking at a used hitch mount. the 1 advantage w/ spreaders are easy for 2-3 trucks each can have 1. I bought a Scotts last year in a pinch $65.00 has plastic wheels but other than that it worked great. Rubber wheels are best w/ ice. I'm working on that.
    My lesco does NOT work for ice melters. the agitater in the bottom doesn't move enough. lesco rep said that it isn't made to do melters.

6. HouseHitter

HouseHitter Junior Member
    from zone 4

yeah I have a HD Lesco spreader. I have a Permagreen too but I think that would be a pain in the butt. Wouldnt do bulk salt in the truck. Does the salt in the rubber maid containers freeze up at all? Right now Im looking at bags. Easier price structure that way too. thanks guys

7. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

what kind of ice melt are you using?
    My sidewalk crews have been using Lesco spreaders with Ice melt products for 15 years with no problems.

8. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

When I first got into plowing I had a customer who had a small lot that he wanted salted. I couldn't justify a tailgate spreader at the time so I bought a Earthway walk behind with rubber tires. 3 years later I still have it but use it to do sidewalks and driveways. I paid like $150.00 for it but it has held up real well and worth the money.

Regards Mike

9. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Just make sure you get rubber tires.....and dont go cheap!:)

10. GTMS

GTMS Senior Member

I have the Lesco HP125 stand on spreader and I'v done alot of lots with that one, we use a follower clean up truck with shovel men and the spreader. Works fine with bagged products.

11. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I had an agri-fab, bought it used at home depot rental centre for $100.00 It was the ultimate. Spread 30' easily, Highly recommend it!:nod: :nod:

12. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I was reading fast and I thought you said you had a 125 Horse power lesco spreader :drinkup:

13. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare Member

I still have salt in rubber maid tubs from last year. Still good as new.

14. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I'd buy a 125 horsepower spreader. Of course, as soon as I did someone would come out with a 200 horse power model. Always happens to me.

15. Detroitdan

Thinking about getting a walk behind, but I'm also thinking about a tailgate sander/spreader. I know the walk behinds won't throw mix, but has anybody ever tried to throw sand? I was wondering if maybe I could use it to throw bagged dry sand, like the stuff you buy in tubes for weight, or play sand. So it would be for salt mostly, but if you had to you could spread sand around too. Of course, those tubes always freeze up, so I don't know how you'd get dry, unfrozen sand anyway. Regular, non-mix sand still has too much moisture I guess. Just thinking.
    Any suggestions on how to convince customers they really don't want sand, that they just want salt or ice melter instead? Sometimes sand is the only way to go, when they need traction and can't wait. I really don't want to buy a sander. Well, I do, I just can't really afford one now. Unless maybe I let the mowing business buy it and write it off...

16. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Seen a slick little Snow Ex walkbehind spreader today, $550 CDN, Pretty pricy but real nice unit. Should be able to spread anything, must have a 2" opening at the bottom

17. Detroitdan

yeah, Meyers has those too, around $300 USD. I would go with an Agri-fab or Lesco, same thing for less money. Check Lowes or Home Cheapo

18. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I bought a Epoke mini 2 weeks ago, $1200 Canadian, it better work perfectly.

19. Snowman19

Snowman19 Senior Member

Get your backback blower, drop your tailgate, stick the salt on the tailgate (make sure to take it out of the bag first) and have someone drive the truck while you blow it off, It actually works and spreads it evenly.

20. Detroitdan

Wow, now that is what I call creative! I've used the blower to clear off a little light snow before, but I never thought of spreading salt... I wonder if you could rig something up to the outlet so you could carry it around and shoot it like a sandblaster.