1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to Spread 60 tons

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by chitownsnowedin, Aug 22, 2008.

1. chitownsnowedin

chitownsnowedin Member
    from Chicago

Large commercial job. What equipment would you buy if you had to spread 60 tons at one place each snowfall?

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

ummm, thats really big

3. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  4. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I wouldn't buy anything. Would utilize what we already have.

What's your window to do so?

It can be done with an HD 3500 w/tailgate spreader. For that matter it could be done with a small v-box if time is not an issue. Most likely a 10-12 yard dump w/tailgate spreader (or v-box of same size) would be necessary, along with 2 smaller salters for your tight areas.

You didn't give enough info to really nail it down.

5. Marbleman

Marbleman Senior Member

Just to be curious how many acres is this site?

1 acre at 600 lb average per acre, to use 60 ton you would be salting 100% of 200 acres.

6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I can hear the pitter pater of salt bouncing and see the parked cars cringing as that thing comes down the isles doing it's thing.

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Is your salt pile on site? If it is 2, 8yard salters on single axles would do it a fine job. I'd probably like to have a tandem 14 yard and a single axle though. One of the trucks would be better to have rear spread also, for backing into loading docks and such.JMO

8. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

That amount really won't take care of a real 1/2-3/4" dusting when it's cold out.

9. Marbleman

Marbleman Senior Member

Use treated Magic Salt and you will only need 400 lbs / acre for total coverage, and magic will work when it is really cold out unlike straight salt.

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Here we go. LOL

11. chitownsnowedin

chitownsnowedin Member
    from Chicago

the site is 229 acres.

I cannot store salt on site, will be about 5 minutes away. Have not really discussed timing of the salt, but it is a large manufacturing plant. Probably cannot take too long.

12. powerjoke

Hey JD....why would you want a tandem when a 8' v-box will do lol

TCLA: i see youre kinda new here so i'll go easy on you;) lol.....but thier is no way, NO WAY that youre gonna spread 120,000lb of salt with a UTS or a 8'V-box in one storm with a 1ton before the snow melts on its own lol

and as far as me suggesting the floater that spread's 100'..... the reason that i did it is because if a guy is gonna spread 190 acres he's not gonna do it when cars are there.......if that's the case, the lot would be 500-700 acres if you deduct for the parking spots :rolleyes:

i think this whole thread was a phishing expedition anyway :rolleyes:

surely if a guy is gonna spread 60ton,...he know's how to do it lol

PJ

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

229 acres. I plow about 100-125 acres and I spread around 30 ton/storm, so 60 ton works out pretty good. The bigger question is, what are you going to plow it with? Salting is the cheap part of the equipment list.

14. chitownsnowedin

chitownsnowedin Member
    from Chicago

I have ideas on how to do it, just looking to see if there are faster alternatives out there. I have never done a site this big before and I definitely don't believe I know all the tricks. I am planning on using 2 roughly 10 yard v-box spreaders. I was hoping for something a little faster but haven't found anything yet. Was wondering if anyone had other ideas.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  15. chitownsnowedin

chitownsnowedin Member
    from Chicago

4 loaders armed with 16' pushers and 4 bobcats to clean out docks and other areas.

16. powerjoke

whew. that makes me feel better. i ididnt see youre equipment list in youre sig ;) lol

one Q' that comes to mind...Where are you thinking that youre gonna come up with 300ton?

do you already have the contract? or is this for nex year? if you want it this year i would say forget it if you dont have the salt already. if it's for next year just watch the guy that does it this year, and hope he screws something up so they'll bid the job out again

PJ

17. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

egggggzactly what i was gonna say. id be worried about getting salt.

18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Well to say your under equipped is an under statement. I have more Iron in a site half that size and the climate we get in Toronto is about the same as Chicago. Hope nothing lays down on you. 4 loaders and 4 skids for 229 acres, pray for no snow. :drinkup:

19. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

:nod: that sounds like 18 hours of plowing

20. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I didn't think that sounded like enough equipment. 200+ acres is alot to clear.

Just a question, but is that your only account or do you have others? I would be worried about putting all my eggs in one basket.

I plow alot of small places, so this is a new game for me.

Good Luck Bossman