1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How To: shortchain a broken blizzard...

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by PTSolutions, Feb 14, 2010.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

continuing our string of great luck; our blizzard plow decided to quit on us saturday. My brother was out plowing and he calls me saying the plow isnt functioning and that it pissed all its fluid. We rammed it up onto a pile and tightened down the straps.

All the hoses were checked and tightened about a month ago and its leaking at the bottom of the manifold. Ill be unbolting it today and flipping it over to diagnose its issues.

Well be making a trip to Erie PA in the summer to get Jerre to work his magic on this thing.

So the argument about chain lift vs. direct on this issue is moot, as long as you have straps with you.

I was actually more worried about the light tower being able to support the weight of the plow than the straps. Each one went down and hooked onto the push beam.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Santry426

Santry426 Senior Member

Damn looks like a pain.

3. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

that the down side of a direct lift plow right there but you odnt have to do it on a storm basis so i like the direct lift plow! i carry on one of thoughs 4 inch wide straps with a racket handle on one side with me and floor lack at all times

4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Could you have put fluid in it just to raise it? And would it have stayed in the raised position? Probably not without pressure in the sytem? Also, did you just remove the pump cover to strap it? I've never had my blizzard quit in the down position. Thanks for the pics, I've wondered how that's done. I too would have worried about the light tower, but it held it ok?

Sorry it happened. I know it's a PITA when things go wrong.

5. PTSolutions

ya, my heavy strap, 6000lb wll was in my other truck. but these were rated at about 700 a piece.

I didnt have any fluid with me (used it up when one of the fittings got loose a month ago) not sure if it would have stayed up b/c i was able to push the plow side to side since there was no pressure in it. I think they leak was too much for it to get any pressure build up anyway if i had. Ya i just removed the pump cover. Last year the fuse/solenoid went out on the plow in the down position, we had to completely disassemble the power hitch arm to pull the plow off the truck and push it up onto a trailer with our other plow truck lol. Ya the light tower held ok, i was worried b/c it was kinda bumpy road on the way back.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Yikes. That looks like a pain. I usually carry a small jack with me. It's easy to short chain a Minute Mount or Fisher in general.

7. PTSolutions

if you have some snow piles near by theres no need for a jack, we just drove it into the pile and hooked up the straps. took no more than 5 min.

at home i put the floor jack under it and then lowered it onto some jackstands.

8. PTSolutions

found the problem:

the lower oring that fits between the pump/motor housing and the manifold burst. It might have been pinched when installed from the factory and the lower bolt that holds the manifold and pump housing together was loose and so the pressure finally burst the oring.

im just glad it was an easy fix even though my dad got sprayed with some fluid when i held the power hitch switch down to find the leak lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That looks like an easy fix and a cheap one too.

See, my luck would be that the plow wouldn't go up and I'd have no snow piles near me.

10. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

I lost the pump gear first storm last year.

Not that difficult to just strap it up.

1220080053.jpg

1220080053a.jpg

1220080053.jpg

1220080053a.jpg

11. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I had that same issue many years ago on my 810. Jerre walked me through the repair. Took less than an hr.
    Dino

12. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Ya the downside to a Blizzard... I'd still take one in a heartbeat! Local plowing crew left a F350 with an 810 PP on it at a parking lot in town for a couple days the first storm of the season here, my buddy runs that truck and said it got stuck in the down position. They had enough other trucks that the downtime didn't hurt 'em too bad. Not sure how they got it back to the shop i think the repair guy went to the truck?

13. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

There is a hole to put a pin through that keeps it a bit off the ground, just jack it up, put the pin through, and you can drive, just because of the bumps.

14. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

Yup, The only bad thing about direct lift plows.

15. BDEMOTT

BDEMOTT Senior Member

Cant beleive those light bars held everything up, Your dealers didnt bother to show you how to "short chain" a blizzard? That extra pin they give you slides right in a hole when the plow is up and mechanically holds it.

16. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

ya good luck getting that whole to line up :rolleyes:

17. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I was gonna say... that's what i use. Only had to use it once in 4 years.

18. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Anybody got a pic of said pin and hole?

19. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

This is how it looks on my speedwing. (Pin in hole in middle of picture above ram behind the broken weld) Didn't think I had one on file but there it is.

Jan 26 2010 002.jpg

20. PTSolutions

i didnt get any extra pin...nor any manuals etc...

but ive already said how much i hate the dealer i got this plow from. he will NEVER get another cent from me. they also do snow removal and im stealing some accounts from him for this coming season.

ya the fix was real simple and easy, im just glad it didnt cost me anything except a lil downtime, but the other 2 trucks were running.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010