1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to Service Ultra mounts?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by cj7plowing, Nov 16, 2009.

1. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

I looked through the archives and couldnt find anything. I have always done the Meyers plow myself probably 30 in total. I have never serviced the western ultramounts I had a guy that used to do them that worked at a dealership on the weekends but he packed it in and moved to the sunshine state.

what are the steps to doing it?

I know the fluid has to be changed, are their any filters on the pump like there are on the meyers? I will use oem western fluid.

Any do's or dont's?

any tricks?

lets hear them.

2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

We take the reservoir right off the pump on all of ours. Four small screws hold it in place. Any moisture tends to collect at the bottom of the reservoir, draining the fliud doesn't get all of this goo out of the reservoir. By removing the reservoir, you can clean all the crap out and refill it with fresh fluid.

While you're in there, make sure the white pickup tube has the retainer bracket which holds it in place. The earlier models didn't have them, and the pickup tube can fall out of the pump without it. If it doesn't have it, you can get the whole kit with a new pickup tube, bracket, and O-ring for 15 bucks or so. Part # is 66763.

When you put the reservoir back in place, grease up the O-ring which seals it. That makes removing it next year a lot easier. Also, put some never seize on the small screws which hold the reservoir in place. They can corrode into the aluminum valve body and break off... no fun.

Hope this helps out.

3. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

I take the angling hoses off the ram end. let it drain a bit. then comes the resevoir. Exactly like "cubic inches" stated. Put everything back together. manually move plow side to side about ten times to release air. check fluid level again. Should be good to go