1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to sell liquid apps?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Gr8WhiteNorth, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

I'm setting up contracts for the winter and wanted to include liquid apps this year. we experimented last year with products and equipment to have that part figured out. The questions I have are as follows:

- how do you guys set up your contracts? Separate prices for pre-treat vs post-treat?
    -do you price per gallon or litre plus a rate for the truck? Or just rate per gallon applied? Any idea how many square feet per hour you average?

- what situations do you pre-treat? Every storm? Only light snows?
    - do you post- treat every storm?

-what client type typically wants this service? Box stores, banks, restaurants vs apartments and condos?

Thanks in advance
  2. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

I have also asked the question to others on the site as to how to price out liquids, because I am making, applying myself on accounts this year, trying to get away from Rock Salt. The answer that I have came up with from some of the guys here are that you need to price out as if you were applying rock salt or ice melt if you use calcium or Mag.

I ended up just comparing a gallon of Brine or Brine/Calcium to what a Bag of Rock salt/calcium cost me(applied), then did the math and put it down in my contracts.

As far as pre-treating and Post-treating, that will be determined this season, but I plan on using my Liquid for more Post, then pre...

As far as where to use it depends on your sales and Marketing skills to the customer. It's the same as using hard products,but you are mixing and spraying....
  3. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

How do you price out rock salt? Price per ton including application vs application at separate rate?
  4. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure what your costs are but here liquids are far cheaper than salt. I just changed my contracts to include deicings at a flat rate which gives us the choice of what to put down.
  5. MF 5455

MF 5455 Senior Member

Bulk rock salt here in Ontario is $97 / tonne this year. I just called local supplier 2 days ago. Since I have lots of water, and don't have that to pay for, with my dump truck fuel, cost of material, I can make salt brine for around 18 cents / gallon. I use the brine to anti ice all my lots, and 600 gallons will do this. This is before the storm.

Remember, brine is only one tool in the toolbox. I don't think you will be able to quit using salt, unless you use sand or some other type aggregate. Those really really cold days and nights we have every year, will need more than just brine more than likely. Ice storms, wet slushy snow, will call for salt or aggregate possibly. Keep an open mind to the use of brine. It is not a cure all, but works well at the proper time. I personally want to quit using sand, period. But....last einter we had about 2' of ice in 2 days. Than it got really cold, like 0 deg fah. Brine wasn't going to work, and salt was not much good at those temps. Had to use sand / salt mix...again :realmad:
  6. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

$108 is cheap. What temperature do you take your brine% mix down to before you don't see good results anymore?
  7. MF 5455

MF 5455 Senior Member

I have sprayed bare dry asphalt lots with brine as far down as 0 deg fah. It dried well with no icing. The air was dry at the time..(low humidity). This is still a learning curve. The proper time to spray, what temps., how much accumulation, and what type. Temps. are also a big factor in how well it works. I especially like the results from the anti icing process. (before the storm). It makes the snow clearing much easier. Starts to show bare pavement much quicker also.

We all must be careful with our mixing if you make your own. Verify each batch or load that it is mixed at 23%. If we ever have a claim from a slip and fall, it will be helpful to have documentation in the court room.