1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to scrape off packed snow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by HotMountain, Dec 7, 2009.

1. HotMountain

HotMountain Junior Member

Hey,

I do residential in Alberta, Canada and we have very dry, cold winters. For now I run a one man show and don't have any too fancy equipment. I opperate with a snowblower, shovel and backpack blower.

Anyways, my issue is once vehicles drive on snow on the driveway before I get there it packs down. In most cases it peels off in large chunks with a manual ice scraper. It gives me a good workout but also takes a lot of time.

What would be your suggestions to keep ahead of the game? I thought about a quad with a blade to scrape it off but I really don't like the idea of driving through snowy and tight neighborhoods with a trailer hauling the quad.

Any ideas, greatly appreciated.

Rudi

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

A GOOD metal edged shovel or an ice chipper.
    Even a blade will ride up over hard snowpack

3. Deco

Deco Senior Member

they're called tank traps. try pure calcium before and after each storm

4. HotMountain

HotMountain Junior Member

Thanks guys.

Looks like I got some work to do juggling my numbers if calcium pays off for me. Saving time and energy vs. money spend on product.

Most people have ice management and stuff as option but I still feel kinda obligated to do the best job possible...

5. Deco

Deco Senior Member

ice management is not an option . unless they like skating rinks