1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to replace burned out dual zone heater bulb

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Snowzilla, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I have a '03 Silverado HD with a burned out bulb for one of the dual zone temp. climate controls. Anyone with experience or tips on how to replace & access these? Sound like they may be a soldered in bulb. :mad:

2. Fatality

Fatality Senior Member

i want to know the same thing as well

3. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

i think they are Diodes.. Not bulbs....

4. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

in my 06 if you just smacked it pretty hard it worked evertime LOL....

5. wolfmobile8

wolfmobile8 Senior Member

i have one out in my 02 and i took the dash a part and there are 3 bulbs in that control and one of mine is burnt out and i think you can only get the bulbs form a gm dealer.

6. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

7. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Did you notice if your bulbs pull out or were soldered in?

8. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

hey are NOT just plug and play bulbs in the 03+ Chevy trucks. These are actually "7219" Eiko bulbs (also available through radio shack online). Radio Shack P/N is 272-1092. (for a two pack). How it works is you can take the front apart of the HVAC unit and get to the circuit board. BUT the back will not open up. Its molded together at the pins for the plug. SO you have to use the soldering gun to "poke" holes in the rear where each light is as they are soldered to the circuit boards. This way you can heat the back up and pull thru and re solder a new bulb in. Its not that hard if you are familiar with soldering and tinkering. The whole dash and light setups are like this on these trucks.

On another note you may want to change them over to LED while its apart if you are feeling confident. I changed everything over in mine a few years back. Even the window switches and such are now blue LED. Its a bit more difficult but doable.

Heres a pic.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Great feedback 496 BB. Sounds like a common problem. I will get some of your mentioned bulbs on hand before tearing into. The LED's look great too. I do notice how my window/lock buttons are barely legible at night.

10. wolfmobile8

where did you get the led bulbs from

11. wolfmobile8

i had the whole unit out and my bulbs just poped out but my truck doesn't have climate control and the 03 and up might be differn't then in my year truck.

12. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

x2. I have one that goes out. The sweet spot for me is just to the left of the passenger air bag key switch. Just a tap will do it every time. Go figure.

13. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

In 01-02 the dash cluster lights are just 194 base bulbs. I got those from Ebay in a wide angle firing pattern. You will need to get the twist lock holders at local parts store if just ordering bulbs.

The rest of everything is is component LED setup with resistors and 360* angle LEDs. I got those from Superbrightleds.com. I got resistors from Radio Shack. Just make sure when you figure the volts for the resistor to use 14.4V instead of 12V.

I got a ton of pics and have done write ups if anyone is interested. Here is a write up I made awhile ago http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99935

I should note that I am almost 99% sure the window switches in the 03+ are surface mount bulbs but am not sure. I was supposed to get a switch from someone and never ended up getting it so I could figure it out. If someone wants to do this and has an extra switch around and wants to ship it to me I can do it. Also if someone wants to tackle it them self I can walk you thru it. All I need is a picture and some volts readings and the rest I can explain how to do.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010