1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to replace atf with hydrolic fluid?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by birddseedd, Mar 5, 2012.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

To be more specific, after i drain the atf from the system, how do i ensure it is clean. im sure just compressing the cylinders will leave more than a residue of atf in. i would assume maxing some atf in the hydrolic fluid is not optimal

2. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

3. birddseedd

ok. hook the rams together with a flushing material and move back and forth. guess i gotta get with my dealer to get some flushing fluid

thanks for the help

4. GMD1984

GMD1984 Senior Member

what i do is unhook the hoses and drain the cylinders, drain the pump hook up fill pump with kerosen run up and down left right a few times. re drain fill with your hydro fluid then repeat prosses with out the kerosene after a few uses that how i do it and works great

5. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

The ATF and hydraulic fluid will mix if there is some leftover. I wouldn't do the kerosene flush

6. GMD1984

GMD1984 Senior Member

kerosene is what the dealer uses flush the system. i use it on all my plows as well and always had positive resaults .

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  7. birddseedd

was thinking of buying some flush. too much of a noob to use shortcuts i dotn knwo about.

8. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

If you change the fluid once a year why would you need to do a flush? My fluid doesn't really even get dirty and the fluid I use is clear

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Flushing an old unit is not a bad Idea. Use Meyer Hydra-flush instead of kerosene. Cleans, lubricates and is compatible with everything.

Don't you have a cable controlled plow? you can run ATF with no issues other then it is a little slower and draws a couple more amps that unit has BIG passages. Now if you have electric cartridge valves, then you should run a premium plow fluid.

10. birddseedd

don't want to mix any atf with hydro fluid.

11. birddseedd

I'm told hydro fluid expands water molocules. if it moves faster and draws less amps that's 2 more reasons. that is actually an issue with my truck. battery is getting old and faster is always better.

would like to find a place for a 2nd battery next year

12. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

what truck do you have

13. birddseedd

04 ram 1500.
    no built in place for a 2nd battery

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

That might be the most intelligent thing I've seen you post:nod::nod::nod:

15. birddseedd

Have fun with that

16. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Oh yes there is. Just have to be creative.

17. birddseedd

ya. ill figure something out. have till next year.

18. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

There's enough room to fab up a battery tray behind the front bumper and under the radiator. I made one this winter because I had the same problem but with only plow 6 or 7 times I didn't feel the need to get another battery. Like you said, got till next season.