1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how to remove company lettering?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by turfguy87, Aug 31, 2010.

1. turfguy87

turfguy87 Member
    from OHIO

I just purchased a dump and was wondering what the best and easiest way is to remove the previous company name and lettering from the outside of the vehicle. It appears to be raised and painted on lettering.

2. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

Heat Gun...........
  3. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

If its painted on, a heat gun will not work. Try small amounts of a oven cleaner or a paint thinner, yes oven cleaner, and see how that works. It WILL NOT, hurt your clear coat.
  4. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Butane lighter fluid, and a putty knife, and finger nails, and heat gun works well too!
  5. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

maybe a fine grit sandpaper, wet maybe, just to get the main part off then the paint thinner or heat gun, just a thought
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

A VERY sharp razor blade and patience.
    Heat gun won't work on paint...it works awesome on decals tho
  7. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Get a new door for each side of the truck in a different color of what you currently have! Problem solved plus you now have a custom multicolored paint job on there!
  8. streetscrapin16

streetscrapin16 Senior Member

Use laquer thinner. Then wax and buff the door and it will look like new.
  9. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

Oven cleaner. Just did it on a retired firetruck that I bought. Use oven cleaner to get the paint off. Then clean with a mild Ajax and water. Then wax it. It worked great
  10. BORIS

BORIS Senior Member

Go to the auto parts store and get a 3m strip remover. It is a wheel that looks like wax and will remove any decal without messing up paint.
  11. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

Its painted on lettering. The 3m strip remover doesnt work on that. i tried it.

The 3m works great on vinyl stick on lettering though
  12. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

oven cleaner works best, but if it is single stage paint be carefull will take some paint off too, if it is clearcoat dont worry about it, anf buff anf wax after then you will be golden
  13. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

as crazy as it sounds, oven cleaner works like a charm. had to clean off an entire van at work when we got a new van. oven cleaner took it off fairly easily and didnt harm the paint at all.
  14. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Wet sand it off ! Go to the body supply store and get ya some of that 3-M
    400 or so grit black wet sand paper !

Sand in one direction back and forth using plenty of water till lettering is gone.................

Buff off with some compound when finished.

This method works best with single stage enamel paint jobs.
    It can be done with the base/clear coat paint jobs too but finesse must be used
    and you will usually burn thru the clear a bit...............
  15. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

Or use oven cleaner and dont burn through anything
  16. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Carefully use a razor blade scraper to remove the buildup. Then use rubbing compound to remove the shadow of the branding. You may have to do the whole vehicle to get it to look right. The paint under the branding will be original so it will stand right out..Some part stores have paint popper or air craft paint remover that will cause some stuff to flake right off. This might be of use to you.
  17. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Another vote for oven cleaner.
    I tried it because of advice from a customer of mine. She owns a professional signage shop. It works like a charm.:nod:
  18. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

I mean this in the nicest way possible. Dont mean to single you out quoting here.

Does anybody read responses before they post or just the first post and then respond?

Its been said by many. Spray a little oven cleaner on it and wipe the letters off with a rag.

So that's the easy way.

You would think the OP responded. "Thanks guys but can someone come up with something more labor intensive and complicated for me to try?" " maybe sanding my doors off? Something? I would really like to make a weekend out of this 20 minute job"
  19. Theshoemaker

Theshoemaker Senior Member

3M Heavy duty compound (peach colored), rub in, haze, hand buff, or you can be a hillbilly and clean your oven oops i mean the side of your truck doors with oven cleaner
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  20. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

How did you know I'm a hillbilly?:jester:

Thanks for the advice. I may try that next time and give you an honest opinion of which method is better.

I got the advice from the owner of this company. Her husband used to buy lots of used company vehicles but now merged with another landscape company that cares more about image. He, on the other hand, just cared about people and getting the job done for them.