1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to remove blade????

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by TDS, Aug 12, 2009.

1. TDS

TDS Junior Member

First Post here
    I have a 7,6 meyer blade and im trying to remove it off the piviot arm so i can sand The rust off and re paint.

i cant figure out how to get the blade off the 2 pins. i have the cotter pins removed and the 3 springs

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The pivot pins that attach the moldboard to the sector get rusted in there good, preventing their removal as you've discovered. Do a search here in the Meyer forums and you'll find many threads with removal procedure to combat this issue as it's a very very common problem with the older Meyer plows that weren't equipped with the newer greasable pivot pins. Which you definitely want to replace the old pins with..

3. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi

I have found that simply cutting the pins with a 5" metal cutting disc on a right angle grinder works best to separate the sector from the moldboard. You just cut between the pin tubes on the moldboard and the sector pin tube. Once cut then the fun begins! The pin tubes on the moldboard I typically heat up with a acetylene torch and a rosebud heating tip, then drive them out with a heavy pin punch and heavy hammer. The remaining half of pin in the sector, I will drill and tap a 3/8" hole into the pin, attach a bolt and chain to a heavy slide hammer, heat the pin tube up with a acetylene torch with a rosebud tip and using the slide hammer pull the remainder out. If neither of theses work, then cut the pin tubes out with a a cut off wheel, torch, plasma cutter, sawsall and any other means and weld in new pin tubes, and reassemble with greaseable pins. Another method one the sector and mold board is separated is to drill out the pins, which is a long process.

Jay

4. TDS

TDS Junior Member

thanks for the replies guys. i came across the smithbrothers page and they had some good info on there. i cut the pins and am having a guy replace the pins and tubes. and adding grease fitting for me.