1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to remount base plate that captures the carriage bolts for Intensifires?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by JFon101231, Nov 1, 2013.

1. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Originally brought up as a reply to a post in the equipment repair section:
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=140220
    by me and another user, but thought there is probably more Fisher experts in here so "moving" discussion to here.

We both had the mounting bolts for the headlights need to be replaced. Can get the rivets out and new carriage bolts in, but how do we get a nut/bolt on to properly reseal that bottom plate to the rest of the headlight bucket as we can only get to 3 of the 6 holes that were previously riveted...

See pic. It shows the 3 you can access, the other 3 are to the left - covered by the headlight reflector...
    [​IMG]

Thanks! Jeff

2. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Please :help: (10 character min)

3. EJLandscaping

EJLandscaping Junior Member

Tried today to fit 5/8" pop rivet into one of the holes. Wasnt quite long enough. I used a C-clamp to squeeze all the layers together. It was close but I am confident a 3/4" pop rivet will solve our problem, which brings up the next problem. There arent any stores that carry 3/4" long pop rivets. Aluminum or steel. McMaster Carr has them but was really hoping to find something locally without having to order anything. Would suck to order them then they not work. I hope one of the fisher plow gurus has an answer soon. I really dont want to spend $300 on lights, but ir is what it is.

4. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

The only thing I could come up with would be to take small hex bolts and run them through so the threads come out of the plastic of the bottom of the light and get an open end wrench in there and tightens them.That's the only idea I have.

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Try going to auto body supply store or possibly trailer repair shop. Both will more likely have the rivets you need. Either one should keep a good supply of rivets on hand.

6. EJLandscaping

Thank you. I will check them out.

7. EJLandscaping

Got this thing figured out for the most part. Will post more soon.

First you need to seperate the inner light assembly, plastic box (black housing), and lens. They srr only helf together with RTV silicone. Once apart peel off any left over RTV and clean everything including reflective material, lens and housing. Once apart its easy to drill out the rivets and replace all the old hardware with stainless. The 3 blind rivets that we were having a hard time with will require some small hardware. Everything is pretty self explanatory from here. Replace the old carriage bolts with stainless as well.

Oncr everything is replaced, run a bead of clear RTV silicone around the housing where the reflective assembly falls in place and let dry. Then the same with the lens assembly being careful n9t to be messy and get it on the lense.

I have not made it as far as gluing back together. Will send another post when I do so if I run into something wierd I will post it.

My father is a mechanic and boy did I not want to show him my problem. When I got there it was a whole of swearing and asking why I would attempt to do this.... blah blah blah. The first light we did (the one I drilled the rivets out on my own) we had to weld the nuts to the very bottom metal metal piece. Then place it back in, cut half the gasket off (I dare not ask him why) then tighten the bolts. It worked and is back together but not everyone has has access to a welder.

I will post some pics soon.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  8. EJLandscaping

Sorry for the spelling errors. Typed from my phone. Will fix on the computer when I get home.

9. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

C'mon! You are teasing with a solution and no pics???? Thanks, look forward to seeing tomorrow.

10. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Ugh, any update EGL?

11. EJLandscaping

Sorry, havent had time and I see snow for next week. Wtf... I started scraping, peeling, wiping away the rvt on the parts. I will take some pics by the weekend. Once the pieces are cleaned up they will be ready to be reassembled with new silicone.if you decide to pull it apart and clean it up yourself, do not scratch the reflective material on the outer edge of the reflective part. If you even touch the F-ing thing with a rigit object silver comes off. Its not bad, just be careful.