1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How To Re-Post A Photo After It Has Been In Another Thread

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by White Gardens, Jan 20, 2013.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I thought I would put up the PSA for members. Seems like you see all the time that people complain that they can't re-post a photo into a different thread.

There is a way to do this and easily.

First, go to the photo in a specific thread and right click on the image.

Then go to "Copy Image Location" in the menu box.

PlowSite1a.jpg

Second, in your reply box, click on the image icon in the tool bar above

PlowSite2ab.jpg

Third, after you click on the image icon, a URL box will appear.

PlowSite3ab.jpg

Lastly, right click on your mouse, and scroll down to paste. This will paste in the location URL of the image you first copied.

PlowSite4ab.jpg

After that, the URL will be in your post, just hit reply and it will be in your reply post. You can do this as many times as you want with a single photo.

Hope this helps, lots of times you see people complaining that they can't re-post an image. This is the way around that without having to re-size the image in another program and go through the process of re-loading the photo back to plowsite.

Thumbs Up

PlowSite1a.jpg

PlowSite2ab.jpg

PlowSite3ab.jpg

PlowSite4ab.jpg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  2. White Gardens

Mods, you can make this a sticky if you wish, or move it to a different forum if you like.

3. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

ok, thanks White Gardens...if this seems to work for most then we can think about making this a sticky :waving:

4. White Gardens

Up to you, doesn't matter to me. This method seems to b the easiest way around re-posting photos. Not sure if the same method would work on Macs, or if there is an issue on certain browsers.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

[​IMG]

Wow,now they'll need to know how to find the pix in the previous post!

6. rofoth6

rofoth6 Member
    from iowa

you can also save image to cpomputer rename pic then post pic with dif name.

7. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

Hold down control and click on the photo to get the menu to pop up on a mac., and then select copy image location. Control paste to paste the url in the IMG box.

8. White Gardens

Way too much work. ;-)

Another bonus with this method is if you've got photos on Facebook eeor Google plus. When you load them to those sites they are automatically resized. All you have to do is copy the pic location and insert them on plowsite.

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

takes me like 4 or 5 seconds the way i do it with paint

10. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

[​IMG]

11. 1olddogtwo

try again...

12. White Gardens

Another bonus to this method is that you are not limited in the number of pics in one post. I'm pretty sure it's infinite.

13. 1olddogtwo

have u tried that

14. White Gardens

Yes, and we're going to do a little test.

Notice the post time on this post.

15. White Gardens

I take that back, I did 15 images and it only allowed 4 total. Seems like I've done it Lawnsite where I was able to get a ton of images on one post.

16. Oxmow

Oxmow Senior Member

What browser are you using, because mine in win 7 doesn't come up with that menu using internet explorer.

17. White Gardens

Firefox.

Never will I use explorer ever again. Runs too slow and too much crud added into it.

If I were to make a second choice for browser, it would be google chrome.

I just looked into explorer and you have to click on properties at the bottom. In the box it will give you the address URL. You should be able to highlight and copy that URL.

I'll post a screenshot tomorrow.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  18. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

There's a name for this. It's called "hotlinking" (not to be confused with "hyperlinking" or just "linking").

The same procedure can be used for almost any image on almost any site to post on almost any other site. It's quick and it keeps the image in one place.

Getting the address is a little bit different in each browser. The important part is that you need the actual address of the image itself. 99% of the time it ends in .jpg, .gif, or .png. There are a few sites that serve image files without extensions or with weird extensions.

Some sites don't allow hotlinking. This means that when you hotlink their image, the image won't work.

Some sites make it difficult to get the image address. For facebook these days you have to click "download" then edit the "&dl=1" off the end of the image URL. For flickr you have to get hotlink code from the menu or click "view all sizes" and right-click the picture after that. If you just right-click the image the first time you see it, you may get a menu generated by the site instead of your browser or your browser may give you a menu for something other than the image (a layer that is on top of the image to prevent right-clicking for its address).

Google sites such as Picasaweb and blogspot have the size in the URL and you can edit it yourself. Sometimes the size is missing from the URL and hotlinking may fail. You can and should add the size if it isn't there. The URL looks like:
    Code:
    http://blahblah.com/blah/gobbldygook/stuff/s800/filename.jpg
    Sometimes it says 'u' instead of 's' before the size. Available sizes are 72, 144, 200, 320, 400, 512, 576, 640, 720, 800, 912, 1024, 1152, 1280, 1440, 1600.

Earlier in the thread, rofoth6 suggests re-hosting. There is a big advantage to re-hosting. If the original site goes down or removes the picture, a re-hosted picture will still be up. You could attach it to a post but most forums aren't very good at attachments. Instead, you could upload it to an image hosting site like picturehoster.info, photobucket.com, tinypic.com, imgur.com, etc.

19. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Same principle on Chrome. Only its "Copy Image URL"

20. Oxmow

Oxmow Senior Member