1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How To Ramp Snow?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by bobross, Jan 8, 2015.

1. bobross

bobross Junior Member

I've been googling for a few days and trying to find the answer here and on other forums, but no luck so far.

I recently moved up north after 32 years living places it just never snows, and my new house came with a plow truck. I've gotten the hang of plowing out my yard, but I'd like to make things as efficient as possible.

Watching the snow blowing through my yard, I can see where it gets built up when the snow banks are vertical. I would like to get the harsh edges turned into ramps so that the snow can just blow right on through without stopping. Problem is, I can't figure out how to make this happen with the plow. I have seen some houses around town with smooth ramped snow stacks, so I know its possible.

Is there a proper term for this? That would definitely help out my searches. If not, anyone able to link a video or something that shows how it is done?

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

to begin with always plow to the down wind side, i start upwind 3 ft on the grass after the ground is frozen, lift the blade a bit(although i have a gravel guard that helps keep the blade from digging in).....on down wind side same thing.

3. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

I think you are refering to stacking. This is what the up button is for. As you are approaching the pile from the previous plowing you lift up the blade and it will push the snow higher. Be prepared to get really stuck as you learn. There is an art to it.

P.S. I mean REALLY stuck. As in needing another truck and a snap strap to get you out.

4. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

By the way, love your screen name. Bob Ross was great, I miss watching him on PBS. "Lets just drop a little tree right here" and suddenly it would be there on his canvass.

5. bobross

bobross Junior Member

I've been doing the push up right at the end, but it doesn't make things smooth... it just makes the wall go higher. Should I be approaching slower? I'm not going super fast as is, but my forward motion is much quicker than the upward motion of the plow. Doesn't help that I've got a dually with traction issues. Even got chains on the outer two tires and I still spin them fairly regularly.

As far as direction goes, I'm really limited on that since I've got a highway's worth of snow bank built up along two sides of my house. Good news is that the natural direction of the ramps are perfect for the wind direction we have.

I've been using variations of this name for years... Helps keep the rage in check when some stupid troll starts up :D

6. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

Maybe post a pic of the "ramped" pile you are trying to imitate, but I really think its just practice.

As far as the traction goes, I would think a dually would be tough to make stick. Maybe a half ton of ballast would help. I am a firm believer in tall skinny tires for plowing.

7. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

If you really want to control the snow, a snow fence or wind break would be your better option.

8. bobross

bobross Junior Member

I'll have to get a pic of one of the yards up here. I tried google for about 30 minutes and can't even find a picture :/

With regards to snow fences, I don't know if it would help. I don't really have a good place in my yard to actually let the snow build up. Just trying to remove the obstacles I've put it in its way already. I might give it a try next year though to direct snow where it needs to go... way too much on the ground right now to even think of using it.

9. micklock

micklock Senior Member

10. bobross

bobross Junior Member

Yes that is exactly what I'm trying to do. Whenever I try it just makes a bigger vertical "wall" out of the stack instead of sloping. Guess I'll just keep trying and go a little slower.

11. bobross

bobross Junior Member

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get stuck at some point :D

12. micklock

micklock Senior Member

hit it with your plow straight and raised all the way until you bust over the top. If the piles are not to tall and your truck and plow are not to heavy you might not get stuck.

13. bobross

bobross Junior Member

I've been doing it in scoop position for clearing. I'm gonna have a 2 week vacation here starting next Monday, so I'll see if I can reshape it with straight blade.

Yard is kinda messed up right now because the truck wasn't running the first month and a half of winter... We had to use yooper scoopers, so the snow distribution isn't really optimal. Hopefully having some long days with nothing to do will give me a chance to rearrange the yard and make some nice sloped stacks.

Thanks for the advice guys. I shoulda just asked here instead of spending many hours trying to track it down myself.

14. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

sorry thought you were trying to control the drifting where you plow

15. carplowguy

carplowguy Junior Member
    from none

That Jeep in the has really wide tires and is much lighter then any dually. I don't believe you would be able to do that with most plow trucks unless your piles were very low. What works good for doing that is a skid steer with tracks... Get one of those to come build the piles. Then you might be able to drive up it with the plow truck if they are already built.

16. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I think in that Jeep video he has older iced up snow under the pile. It's easy to make nice piles when the snow is light, but as soon as you get hit with a lot of heavy wet stuff, you're going to find that you end up eith just a wall if snow as a pile at some point. Have to then just use a skid or tractor to then push it all back and start all over again with new piles.

17. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

18. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

With a couple of rural properties we do, there is generally only on direction where the snow will drift in from.

Not sure if that is the same situation where you are at, but if that's the case, just make sure your piles are down wind from the the driveway. This will make sure you don't create a windbreak with the piles and cause more drifting.

19. Flyboy77

Flyboy77 Senior Member

20. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

See what's making the ramps at the other locations I bet it's a wheeler if they are really tall ramps!!