1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to put a hydraulic spreader on a truck with out hydraulics

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowboy22, Oct 13, 2013.

1. plowboy22

plowboy22 Junior Member
    from ohio

I have a 98 dodge dump truck with a pto run hydraulic system to raise bed up and down. The problem is that I bought a hydraulic spreader and now I need help figuring out how to make it work with out spending thousands on central hydraulics..

2. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

How much flow does it require? The cheapest way I can think of is to get a good used (cheap...for like $100-$150) hydraulic system for a plow (Western or what have you) and jury rig that. Else, Northern sells all types of hydraulic stuff. But that route is going to easily run you a grand (reservoir, filter, pump, lines).

JFWIW: I have central hydraulics and I would never go back. With a dump, spreader and plow on your truck you are a prime candidate for central hydraulics.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Pretty sure there isn't a plow pump in the USA that is going to run a hydro spreader. I'm going to guess a minimum of 12-15 GPM. And more HP than a itty bitty plow pump is going to produce.

Then you have the problem of a adding a reservoir because the oil is going to heat up.

OP: either add central hydros or switch it to electric.

4. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

Well, that depends, doesn't it? He didn't mention if it was a spinner or an auger.

5. Mark Oomkes

No it doesn't depend, because hydraulic spreaders are just that, hydraulic. Auger and spinner.

6. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

You can buy hydraulic power packs with a 20hp motor that puts out 15-20gpm for $1500 and away you go, kinda like select service and his Honda packs for the back blade

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You still need a reservoir and like Mark said running a blade and a spreader are completely different plus the whole reason of going hydraulic on a salter is to make it more dependable and putting a gas motor on it seems counter productive to me.

8. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I agree I'm just saying there is a cheaper solution to get by for now till you do it right... putting central hydros on a '98 is also counter productive IMO

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Haha, I can see the fire now from the starter setup !

That is one of the top ten worst suggestions I seen here on PS.....the other 9 are owned by BS.

Do it right or don't do it.

10. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Is there a way to convert the hydro spreader over to electric?

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Pulling the hydraulic motors and switching them over to electric.
    I would sell the hydro one and go buy an electric one or spend the money and put central hydraulics on the 98 Dodge if it's worth the investment. Most of the parts can be removed if you sell the truck.

12. Mark Oomkes

That is possible, but I agree, it is just adding another level of stress, maintenance, etc to the mix.

It does kind of have a BS ring to it, doesn't it?

13. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

I thought I remember seeing a few treads about switching over hydro to electric spreaders - didn't really read it too much but I thought they were refering to different motors and such.

Just the cost of hydro lines will get you - the plumbing costs of our under tailgate spreader were probably what the spreader costs, including the pump.

14. plowboy22

plowboy22 Junior Member
    from ohio

spreader

thanks for all the replys guys im in to doing things the right way I bought the spreader cheap and the truck only has 120,000 in very good shape and I have a western mvp on the front of the dump I just did know who all made system for that . Someone told me I would spend like 7000.00 to have that put on the truck and I just didn't want to spend that kind of money just to run a spreader for a couple months a year I know it would pay for itself just the idea, and it flows up to 20 gals a min.. thanks

15. CAG80

CAG80 Member
    from ct

I had two henderson spreaders ..one stainless steel that was setup with hydraulics and one mild steel that had a gas motor.. I switched all the gas stuff over to the stainless steel tub when the mid steel rusted out, it was a easy job.. Matter of fact just two years ago I junked a fisher spreader but put the honda motor with fisher cab controls on the henderson spreader..
    A hydro system is best, I saved all my hydro parts and it just happens to be I bought a f650 thats plumbed for it already. I have no intentions of running it on the truck as we keep down sizing every year, but the parts are on the shelf if we need them. Point is don't waist money plumbing a truck for hydraulics ,the spreader tubs are very simlar and parts are interchangeable with a little handyman knowledge .. If in was to have do a switch over again I would like to try electric..

16. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

If you look around on here somewhere from a few years ago, there should be a fairly detailed thread on converting my Flink from gas to hydraulic for a couple hundred bucks. IMO, your best option... and not difficult if you are at least mildly mechanically inclined. Save the hydro parts in case you get something with centrals later, or sell them to offset your costs. I don't regret my conversion!! 3/4 Leeson motor...