1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to purchase municipal equipment??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by CK82, Oct 10, 2014.

1. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

Hey guys, a larger snow plow contractor I know of, purchases various equipment from municipals (loaders, dump trucks, etc.)

Have any of your purchased municipal equipment and if so how to I go about finding equipment and purchasing?

Thanks!

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Auctions...

3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Govdeals.com is a good place to start.

4. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

here are 4 sites i use:
    govdeals.com
    usgovbid.com
    ironplanet.com
    govliquidation.com

5. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

Thanks for the website links and info. I have purchased a skid loader from Ironplant a few years back, transaction went well.

How or where do I find Auctions to attend? Whether there online or a physical location I would have to be in person.

Anyone purchased through Richtie Bro's Auctions?

Thank!

6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

when my town gets ride of there stuff they just park it in a certain area but a a banner from the street beside listing in paper and have a sealed bid auction

7. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

8. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

That's how most of the towns in my area do it to. Maine DOT has a big yard they bring all of their "old" equipment to and they auction it off twice a year after they let municipalities and non profit groups have first dibs on it.

9. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

Watch the state and local news papers for sealed bid requests. Stop at the local shop and ask them when they will be sending off the next item, where is it going. Also watch to see who is building the new trucks for them. Alot of the old stuff gets traded in to the body builder. For the equipment side of things it depends on your local govs money position. If they run a tighter ship they may own their stuff and keep it a long long time. If they have a little more money there is s good chance they are on a lease program with deere,cat,komatsu ect. Then you need to make friends with your salesman and find out when the next batch of lease returns are comming.