1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how to pull a motor 101

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Big Nate's Plowing, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

first off get a 12 pack of your favorite beer, a 251 cubic foot oxygen cylinder

1st, remove motor mount bolts
    2nd remove all but 1 torque converter bolt:rolleyes:
    3rd torch out t-case mounts & tranny mount
    4th try to pick motor up and out

motor coming out.jpg

2. Big Nate's Plowing

5th, watch chain break off of hoist and motor fall back in the chassis:eek:

motor upside down.jpg

3. Big Nate's Plowing

step 6 wait a day for your head to clear and pull motor out:rolleyes: :D

yay 403 cubic inches of fury:D

motor on picker.jpg

4. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

PRICELESS my friend PRICELESS

5. Big Nate's Plowing

6. Snow Jaw

Snow Jaw Senior Member

where did you learn to pull a motor out a truck?!?!

I have been there doing that 4 times!! never had a problem getting it out and put it back in..

you see my truck I put in a 400 with racing cam.. used to have a 360.... :drinkup: :D

7. Big Nate's Plowing

it was the first time I had ever done that,....lol and my buddy assured me that he had done it this way manymany times. lol it was a enlightening experience:help:

8. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

at least you learned on the beater engine coming out!!

My first engine swap was a V-8 S-10 deal. 2.8 didn't put up a fight like that, but I think the 350 was claustrophobic looking at that little, tiny engine bay. Anyway- the hoist was extended out and almost all the way up, and I was moving it to the side (not alot of lateral support) by myself... over she went. I was standing between the legs of the picker, under the boom when it went over. Oh yeah, the truck was well raised on stands at the time, compounding the height required to clear the core support.

Nothing like a brand new 330hp engine tumbling off the front bumper, bouncing off the garage door, and hitting the floor.

The bad part is that is was my brothers engine. I was trying to get ahead on the project while he decided to go out on the town... kids. He was mad at me for dropping his engine, I was mad at him for ditching on me. That was quite a shouting match.:realmad:

9. Big Nate's Plowing

that wasnt the beater engine, lol that was the one that is going in my new truck, still has 60# of oil pressure at idle:D

I will post more pics of the tear apart the bronco parject

10. Jim Prill

Jim Prill Member
    from Zion Il

11. Jim Prill

Jim Prill Member
    from Zion Il

how to pull a ford motor 101

I did the same thing pulling the 390 out of my 76 f150, but jim beam works better! :drinkup:

12. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

That is prime. Atleast ya finally got it out. :drinkup:

13. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

that was about as ugly as my first divorce:eek: ....Rob

14. Big Nate's Plowing

LOL, it was pretty bad, motor turned out alright and got flogged on the dyno pretty good 386 hp @ 6000 rpm and 401 ft lbs at 3500 rpm

the guy running the dyno said that if I let him run it over 6000 rpm that I could expect a 415 ish hp reading, but who the hell runs a big block @6500 rpm and besides I didnt want to blow the sucker up.

now to find a fox bodied mustang to put it in and make a sleeper payup

oh and she got some toys for that run, 750 cfm edelbrock carb, 4bbl intake, Aussie heads milled 10.5:1 compression, flowtech headers and new valve springs

Last edited: Jan 11, 2004