1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to protect yourself from bad winter?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by green frog, Sep 9, 2007.

1. green frog

green frog Senior Member

With the drought this year I'm worried its going to be rough one. With residential contracts do you charge above contract for plowing twice in one day? Or have a maximum plows in a week or month so you can charge a little more if you get a blizzard? Or am I just wishful thinking.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

All seasonal Nov1st to Apr 30th if it snows I go.Doesn't matter 1 time or 50 that's how I play it.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If you're using contracts; they generally contain a "blizzard clause" and vary in form and wording by the type of contract - per push, seasonal, etc. With a "per push" account, you'll usually have graduated charges for ranges up to 12", then so much an inch over 12" plus the amount of the last range - so if you charge $100 for 9" to 12" and $2 an inch over 12", a 15" snowfall would total $106. For a seasonal - a blizzard clause would specify a charge for a snowfall amount in excess of a xxx inches within 24 hours or a total snowfall of more than xxx inches per season.

Some (like me) do not have a blizzard clause and give a price per season regardless of snowfall amount. BUT the seasonal price is about 50% higher than I would expect from a similar per push account. Some people just prefer it that way so they know exactly what they'll spend on snow removal for the season.

With a per push account, I charge based on the total snowfall in a 24 hour period. That way, I can decide when to plow - I may want to plow every 3-4" or wait till it's over, even if it's 14". Just depends on circumstances and characteristics of the snow.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007