1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to properly ground the plow side?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by YR2012, Jan 12, 2013.

1. YR2012

YR2012 Junior Member

OK this is probably a stupid rookie question, please help me tell the difference between seriousness and sarcasm!
    Fisher MM1 2-plug setup.
    Seems to have a bad ground on the plow side. Periodically, we just get no power to the plow. Won't raise or lower, nothing. Solenoid chirps like a bird. Plow headlights are staying on. Wiggling the ground wire at the pump eventually fixes it. This happened 3x in the middle of a job and in the dark we got a spark the size of a softball, then the plow worked and we were able to finish.
    -- Bad connection at the screw? Bad ground wire?
    -- What's the best way to protect the ground wire and its connection? (Scrape it? Grease? What kind?) Seems like a very important and very exposed electrical connection!
    Thanks guys!
  2. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

How old is the plow? If metal is touching metal you should be good. I doubt it is a bad cable sense they are usally pretty heavy gauge. If it is an older plow I would bet your motor is going bad.
  3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Sand paper to clean it and dielectric grease. Ground goes from pump to battery.
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Look at the eyelet good. They sometimes get corroded under the heat schrink
  5. gafred

gafred Member
    from Boone

Run a new ground cable from battery to plow motor as original mount, 1 up heavier gauge will be benefit.
  6. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

You could just check the lug on the ground cable to see if its bad. To repair it won't take much time. If its the lug. I would crimp the new lug on followed by a little soldering. then top it off with a heavy duty strink tubing.

New lug should run you a few bucks for a pair.
  7. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

best ground to get is to the neg side battery terminal
  8. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

At the ends I have seen the wires get green and not ground well on all types of wires where the eyelet crimps in. I replace and solder the new one.