1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to properly check E47 fluid?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BushHogBoy, Jan 24, 2005.

1. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Plow up or down (if down, should it be in float position?), angled left right or straight? or does it matter? I checked the fluid once and thought it was low so i put more in it. did not fill all the way up. Let it run through, worked the controls a little then checked again, it kinda started running out when i checked it. I know i'm not doing something right.
    Help!
    Thanks,
    Eric

2. SteveB(wi)

SteveB(wi) Member

I fill mine plow down, straight. I fill it right to the top. If its over full and you still have the original fill plug it is self venting and will blow out any extra.

3. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Thanks Steve. My fill hole has like one smaller plug that screws into a larger one. I have seen these on cars sometimes (i think these would be replacement drain plugs on cars), but it looks like that kinda. Is that an original or not? I'll fill 'er up all the way... any idea why it oozes out when I take the filler plug out, even though its not full all the way?

4. SteveB(wi)

SteveB(wi) Member

I'm not sure about the plug, mine has a little ball valve vent in the side of the 7/16" plug (1972 model E-47). It may be oozing out because it's frothy from pumping air due to being low or having a leak. Down or float doesn't matter, if you want push it completely down and fill it you probably won't blow any out cuz when the clyinder is down the reservoir should be holding the most it ever will. I would also try checking it before you move the plow after letting it sit all night or day so the air in it can seperate from the oil again.

Her's a link to the Meyer repair manual.
    http://www.meyerproducts.com/pdf/electro_lift_new.pdf

5. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Thanks Steve! Appreciate your help. Let me know if there's anything I can do. I have no idea how old my plow is. Came off of a mid 80's Bronco. Any way to tell how old it is?

6. SteveVB

SteveVB Member

The direction dosent matter, but check with the lift rod down, fluid should be 1 1/2" from top of fill hole- I use a popcicle stick(my daughters craft supplies)

check the MEyer site for the manual- it is available online free of charge and has all of the maintaince and trouble shooting information
    http://www.meyerproducts.com/service/parts_service.asp

7. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Thanks Steve. Yep I printed off the first link. 56 pages long whew that blew the cobwebs outta my printer :rolleyes:
    I can't stand looking at something like a PDF on the computer, I can't see it all at once (small monitor and resolution :rolleyes: )
    Plus i figure it would be a good idea to take it with me plowing in case something happens I can look it up if I'm not familiar with it...
    I'm going out to check the fluid here in a minute then go grab lunch.
    Thanks again,
    Eric