1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to proove you were there!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

As if the big pile of snow at the end of their driveway isn't enough right. I swear I'm going to drive around with a video camera going all the time with time/date stamp, then there's no questioning it. We had roughly 10" the other night, winds at a constant 40+mph so you couldn't see anything and things looked as if we were never there. You would think people would put 2 and 2 together, yeah not the case. I had 2 new customer's say we weren't there at all during the storm, I said we've been there twice! Of course their responses are the usual "well it looks like you were never here" (even tho the driveway is clear).
    Another customer said we never did a fall clean up and refuses to pay a 300.00 bill. We did it (even I was impressed with my guy's work) and 3 days later huge wind storm blew through covering the lawn again. Going to BestBuy tonight to buy a new camera with time/date stamp!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Knock on their door at 3 am next time just to let them know you were there!

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

LOL I thought about that. I might just invest in another back up alarm, like the on on my dump...I think its 126dbl's (its loud), and a new set of cherry bomb mufflers just too make sure.

4. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Yep thats about the only thing you can do. Take a pic before and after with the time and date stamp.

Or get a gps that tracks you. So you can show them a map that states date, time, and how long.

Or get doorhangers. They make doorhanger bags that you can put something in saying you were there. Or just make some postit notes and stick them to their front door.

5. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

I use door hangers for my PITA commercial people...I will use them for lawn work and snow. Mostly I use them for snow. It's hard to argue with a company hanger with the date and time on the door....it saves B.S. and it works because there is no argument. I usually post up 2 of them two different doors in case of a wind that knocks them off...

6. northeastrealty

northeastrealty Member

I hate people!!! Customer's Suck PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!::confused:

7. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I will push a small pile off to the side and leave it until I go back a second time. When a customer would accuse me of not being there I'd tell them to look for the pile of snow that was randomly placed in their lot. It shuts them up every time.

8. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

good point. i also have each of my guys carry triplicet forms and leave a pink copy each time our truck touches a lot, with a full explaination of the work that was done and what times we were there

9. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

yeah my truck used to have two cherry bomb mufflers till they fell out.. :drinkup:

10. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

a couple blasts of the air horn by his window each time i was there should do it..:laughing:

11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If you hit the garage door they know you were there too :laughing:
    The big pile of snow is usually enough for most people and if they do complain don't do the drive till they call and watch you doing it.

12. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Has anyone ever thought of using twitter?

I was just thinking that if you updated twitter every time you finished a lot they could check and see.

13. BHISNOWMAN

BHISNOWMAN Member

We use windshield camcorders from (buswerksinc.com) records everything and includes GPS on the same playback screen with the exact time and date.

14. Those are a good idea, which model do you use ?

15. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Thats just typical for someone to say during a big storm. I'm sure everyone has heard that at one time or another if they have been in this business for a while. Just make some noise in the driveway. Just run the plow along a clean driveway a couple of times with lights flashing.

16. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Just lay on the horn until you see them look out the window or call them on the phone at 3:00am. They will either fire you or they will become very trusting of you. People are so dumb sometimes.

17. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

I love customers!...... not

18. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I had a guy last year that told me he wouldn't pay unless I called him when I was on his property- no matter day or night- so he could look out his window and know that I was in fact there to plow...he is no longer a client of mine...:gunsfiring:

19. jzeller4

jzeller4 Member
    from ohio

its funny how far people will go to get out of a bill, sometimes i tape a business card to there door.
    if thats not good enough i can always put the snow back where i got it, bein i was never there and all....

20. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

How about a GPS tracking device? Its going to the best way to prove you were there and you dont have to do anything extra like take pictures.