1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how to prime a 97 international 4700

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by stokerlife, Jan 8, 2013.

1. stokerlife

stokerlife Junior Member
    from ohio

first some background..
    this truck has not run in 3 years. mid winter 2009-2010 the batteries died and has not ran since. this summer i replaced all 3 batteries and the fuel filter, and also put a couple bottles of winter 911 defreezer in the left tank, right tank cap will not open. did not drain old fuel, just tried starting it on the old. it sounded as if it were trying to start for a second but i think it burned through all the fuel in the line and thats it. after that i pumped the primer pump for a few minutes and tried again but it didnt seem to do any good.

questions..
    1. how do i prime it?
    2. how do i get the filter on without a bubble if its upside down? (no matter how quickly i flip it and screw it on i cant seem to keep air out of it, is there a trick to this?)
    3. anything else i should know?

thanks

2. stokerlife

stokerlife Junior Member
    from ohio

also i must add it has a DT466E

3. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

When you primed it, did the primer button/level get hard to work before you tried to fire it?

4. stokerlife

stokerlife Junior Member
    from ohio

No, I didnt know how long it should take. I have seen on other kinds of trucks it only takes like 15 pumps before it gets hard. I must have pumped it 10 minutes

5. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

From my experience owning big trucks you have to prime it until the primer gets hard. Not familiar with that engine, but it may be worth a shot using a starting aid ether or wd-40 works ok, if you'd rather use something other then either but I would only do that if priming it until the primer is hard doesn't work, but also you should prime it up again before trying a starting aid.

6. stokerlife

stokerlife Junior Member
    from ohio

I will try it, thanks

7. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

Good luck! Post your results.

8. stokerlife

stokerlife Junior Member
    from ohio

9. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

nothing super helpful there, I would try to prime it up hard, give it a snort of starting fluid and see what happens. Do you know if it has glowplugs on it?

10. stokerlife

stokerlife Junior Member
    from ohio

Ok. I dont know, I would think it does

11. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

if it does have glow plug you will want to disable them before using starting fluid on it, just so you know in case you didn't already.

12. stokerlife

stokerlife Junior Member
    from ohio

No, I have not used any starting fluid on it because I heard it is bad for a diesel, but if I do I will be sure to disable them.

13. stokerlife

stokerlife Junior Member
    from ohio

why should they be disabled?

14. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

My 1987 466 needed all the lines cracked at the injectors to work out all the air. It should be spraying out when cranking the key. Mine wasnt and i had to rebuild the injector pump.
    The primer could be bad and need to be replaced if its not building pressure
    I don't think it has glow plugs. Mine doesnt.
    The diesel should be fine. It doesnt go bad quick like gas

15. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

Is it mechanical or electronic injection? There are no glow plugs on that engine. Are you getting oil pressure when cranking? If the primer pump isn't getting hard then you need to check for a cracked fuel line. Check the pickup tube also. What fuel filter is upside down? Never seen one like that. Check that all out and let me know and ill know which way to send you with it.

16. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Years ago When I worked for my father in law we had some guys over the yrs that was not the smartest guys on the block and would always run the trucks and loaders out of fuel ( to lazy to check the fuel level) on one of the loaders the primer was bad and would take forever to prime the engine and instead of my father in law just going out and buying a new one he told us to get a old inner tube and cut the valve stem out get a hose clamp put it on the fill spout of the loader clamp it down and put about 60 pounds of air in the tank the air would push the fuel threw the filter to the injectors and then just crack each injector till its pumping out a steady stream of fuel it worked every time. then after the machine was running he would tell us that it was an old Indian trick and I would say I never knew the indians had diesel motor's back then you learn something new every day I learned alot from him and sorry he is gone now that is the kind of things that the kids now days never learn. Sorry for the long post hope this will help.

17. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

One it is primed to the injector pump, move to injectors. Crack open the fitting one injector at a time, crank the engine unti there is fuel, tighten the fitting, the move to the next cylinder. If all goes well you can do 4 and get the engine to run enough to run the air out of the last two cylinders. If not do the last two.

I'd first put some clean fuel in. Making sure the pick up tunes were clear. New fuel filter installed. Primed up to the injector pump. I like the idea of the innner tube and air pressure.

18. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

Some of these have a bleed just before the injector pump. Open it up and pump the primer until fuel comes out there; then close it and see if it starts. You're sure there's still fuel in the tank?

19. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

The advice in here scares me. A lot.

A '97 DT466E is going to be a HUEI engine, not an injection pump. It is the same injection system used on a 7.3PSD, if that makes it easier to understand.

First you need to verify fuel in the fuel filter bowl, which is sent through the fuel lines and the primer pump, most of them are electric. The primer is going to be manual on most of them as well. It will likely NOT get hard when priming, easiest way to see for fuel is to pull the filter out, prime and watch for fuel.

Sitting three years is highly problematic, honestly I would drain both tanks give some fresh fuel, and get fuel to the engine.

The transfer pump is likely seized also.

20. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

My experience with diesels is that they just absolutely HATE the cold. My question is whether or not the thing is making any smoke. If it is making any smoke at all, it is probably getting [some] fuel and just needs a little help with ignition. Try to figure out some way to warm it up if you can. If the engine is nice and toasty warm before you try starting it, I guarantee it will be much easier to start.

If there's no smoke coming from it at all, then you almost definitely have a fuel delivery problem.

KBTConst: everybody knows the "pressurize the fuel tank" trick... good for everything that can't suck air. Snowmobiles with mechanical (vacuum) fuel pumps, diesel machines with tanks lower than the fuel pump (easier to gravity bleed equipment with tank above pump), I've even used this trick to bleed furnace lines from buried tanks.

Good of you for mentioning it though! Thumbs Up