1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to price???

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by 512high, Mar 9, 2011.

1. 512high

512high Senior Member

Hi everyone,

I just bought a 43hp, 2006 Kubota L-4330HSTC(cab), and with my small parking lots, i've had a few clients ask to "stack" the snow banks, and relocate a few piles on site, my question is i have no idea what to charge for a small loader this size, i am located in Southern New Hampshire,(35 mi) north of Boston.

any ideas? a few guys in the area say $85.00 per hr. with a three hour min., not sure if this is fair too low, etc.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You could do a flat fee if you wanted to . EX. 250.00 to push the piles back.But you need to know how long it would take first.Some places don't like per hour because they think you will milk it.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  3. 512high

512high Senior Member

Thanks for the quick reply! Does price matter what part of the country one is located? Or is $250.00 for this size of machine "normal"?
  4. grandview

Prices are different even in your own town. Just depends on who's doing it.
  5. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

i wouldn't hire somebody who went on the internet asking how much to charge. i would hope he'd know what his costs were before i hired him.
  6. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

dayexco man lay off him he is just trying to get anothers perfessional opinion and that is what this website is all about. We use a bobcat tractor at a storage locker set and i just charged a price and come to find out I needed to charge a litttle more. Wish I would have got anothers opioinon
  7. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Jewell, your fairly new to this site and this question has been asked over and over.... Day has given him good advice...... He needs to know HIS costs associated with the task at hand before you can give a price (wether per hour or for the job)...... He might be able to charge $85 per hour, while the contractor across the street will charge $110 ph...... YOUR PRICING IS DEPENDANT ON YOUR COSTS OF DOING BUSINESS ..... not what others are charging........

Now that said to the op , internet advice is free (take it for whats its worth) but I'd suggest calling around to various landscapers/excavation cos and see what they're charging to get a baseline.... work backwards from there accounting for all your costs...... if you feel your profit margins are fair at a certain hourly figure then there you go...... This would be YOUR hourly rate to do business..... HIH
  8. 512high

512high Senior Member

Guys great advice from all,my point was this is a SMALL machine 1/2 yard bucket, 43hp. Diesel here 4.01 now, I didn't know wether per hour. Or a fixed price is better for a client to hear,etc. I posted this because YOU guys have more experience,and understand diff.regions may get more or less...we all started. Somehere,just looking for what others think,again thanks for the replies
  9. cf1128

cf1128 Member
    from NH

Mick gave some great advice, and he is dead on about knowing your cost.
    I also agree with your last post. I have a John Deere 6330 with a 673 Loader and a 96 inch bucket and a 12 foot push box. I can stack much much higher than you( I think around 14 feet), and I struggle to get $115 hr in Southern NH. To give you an idea, I can get my good customers to pay me $115 an hour, and I can struggle to get $$95hr with everyone else.
    But... I can rent a late model Hyundai 740 with an operator or a Cat 928 with an operator for $100 an hour and charge $130 to $150 an hr, with no fuel cost to me and no wear on my tractor if it is a major stacking job, like last winter. As good as my AG tractor is at pushing, these Front end Loaders dust it when you are stacking major snow.
    Also what you need to consider is that you can only stack and push so high, so be prepared before the season to know where you are putting it, once you move it and it freezes, you can pork yourself, your client doesn't want to pay, to move the same snow twice, however that is how a lot of guys operate. That is another reason why the Front end loaders have an advantage over us.
    My advice to you, would be to find technical lots, that the big loader guys avoid, because they are too big, you can clean up on those.
    I am in NH, so that gives you an idea.
    However, like anything else, I service the heck out of my clients. I try to work for a flat fee every storm, I tell them my hourly, but usually give them a max price, because I know how long it will take and they usually want to know upfront anyway.
    I tell them what I am going to do, and I do it.
    I try to do it in the middle of the night when they are closed, and the lot needs to be stacked dress right dress and perfect by sunrise.
    Just my opinion.
    You will get your balls busted on here, but there is also some good advice on here too.
    Just gotta weed through the bs, however, you gotta know what your cost per hour is to run your stuff, fuel, ins. etc...
    Good luck.
  10. cf1128

cf1128 Member
    from NH

Oh, and congrats on the new rig!
  11. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Awesome post to know your cost

Knowing your cost per hour is the most important thing to know before you look for the first job. If you are looking for something simple, accurate and professional to calculate your company's cost per hour of operation check out our CD called "Know why you charge what you charge" It's a spreadsheet program that is simple to use and provides you with an accurate cost per hour for your business based on your overhead, expenses, and use-rates.

If you have any questions, call us at 800-845-0499.
  12. grandview

Reading back issues of Snow Business and this thread was in the July/Aug issue.
  13. second income

second income Member

It is simple know your costs but you charge market rates as long as it is more than your costs. Why work for only a ten percent profit when the market may tell you can make twenty.