1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to price snow plowing a commercial lot

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by snowplowers, Jul 26, 2016.

1. snowplowers

snowplowers Junior Member

New to this! I'm not use to plowing any commercial lots and bidding them on how much snow per occurrence. I am looking for help on how to price a lot that is around 200,000sf for 1-3", 3.1"-6", and 6.1"- 8" as well as calculating prices for salting the lot each time for both rock salt and treated salt. Another option the customer asked for was for a seasonal quote with everything included (snow removal lot and sidewalks and salting). Guessing you would need either a bobcat or loader to do a lot this size. Anything would be much appreciated!

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

are you bidding directly or thru a natl company

3. snowplowers

I would be bidding this lot directly from who manages the lot.

4. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

For that size lot you will need more then a bobcat.. At least two loaders with 12-20 foot pushers and a truck to cut in with. Plus I would have a good size salt truck, at least one that can haul 2-5 ton.

I would not recommend, jumping into something that big for your 1st commercial
    job. Just my 2 sense

5. snowplowers

The company that previously did it only used one load with a 14' pusher. I currently have a couple more lots maybe a little smaller than this one but are seasonal contracts with everything inclusive. I'm not sure how you would bid a 190,000 s.f. lot like this as far as 1-3", 3.1"-6", and 6.1"- 8"

6. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

Not sure we measure snow fall in feet in Rochester, NY.

7. snowplowers

I completely understand that! Well if anyone could help me out for pricing a lot out this way it would be greatly appreciated!

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Where... location.... Midwest northeast, etc

9. snowplowers

The lot is located in the Midwest area. I plan on using either a skidsteer or loader.

10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Skid-10fter and pickup/salter. 3 hours, min @ 150 pet hour each.

11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Dam........ prices like that you'd never retire.......

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

2 12-20ft pushers on a 4.6 acre lot? LOL

13. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

In City Tow land that's how they roll......

14. snowplowers

I would imagine you would be at least $500 for 1-3", $650 for 3-6", and $825 for around 6-8". Does this seem low? I don't understand how company's can rent loaders for about $10,000-15,000 for the winter and make money. Also does $400 for treated salt sound about right for salting?

15. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

The subs out here make more than that...

Where in the Midwest are you? That can span many states, different weather, and differences in pricing.

16. snowplowers

Basically on the edge of Indiana and illinois...

17. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

In our area I would be estimating this lot in hourly rates per what type of equipment you are running. The same thing goes with Liquid and Dry product Ice management. You can estimate how much you might use, but its really going to depend on the storm and how long your guys are out there. I never do jobs like this per Push. I would recommend a Skid/Cat with a good size bucket, maybe 2 trucks with 8-10' blades and a good sidewalk crew. Don't forget to put a price in there for snow removal/hauling, unless you dump out back in some grass areas in a huge storm, there does not look like a ton of areas to put snow.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  18. transbluefm

transbluefm Junior Member

snow pricing.

I would be at $1130 for 1-3 inches.

When you price your seasonal use a 10 year and 100 year average. Then anticipate how many times you would need to plow. If the seasonal average is lets say 72 inches. Maybe you plow 19-22 times and salt 26 times with maybe 8 partial deicing in there. That may give you a good rate.

19. transbluefm

transbluefm Junior Member

I believe your leaving money on the table.

20. HadiCoop

HadiCoop Member

I just left my contact info with a few small commercial lots today and one of them being only around 6000sqft. Not sure if they want salt & just unsure of the details overall as I'm still waiting for a phone call from them. But I'd like to have a rough idea on what you guys think this should cost. There's about 4-5 parking spaces and a 40'-50' laneway to be cleared along with a bit of a front porch. I'm thinking it shouldn't take any more than 20-30mins per plow.
    This is a small commercial lot (cell phone accessories) and it would be nice to have.

Also going to be talking with my dentist next Saturday which is another very small lot, maybe only 2-3 parking a spaces, but it doesn't look likes there's anywhere to put the snow. But that's something I'll find out.

Then there's an auto parts store that is still waiting for pavement & sod to be put down as it's a new plaza. This one has about 10 parking spaces down the side of the building and a few more out back. Maybe 10,000sqft of Plowing. My nieghbor works there and was there when I was talking to the owner. Said I had the best lawn on the block so I'm hoping I'll at least get the lawn maintenance job. Would be nice to get both though. Do you guys that do lawn maintenance put together a package deal for snow/grass? I hope this is posted in the correct spot, if not maybe somebody can move it for me