1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to price Salting?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by cplow, Dec 12, 2013.

1. cplow

cplow Junior Member

What do you charge just to salt no plowing?
  2. mtnbktrek

mtnbktrek Senior Member
    from NEPA

Regardless if it's from '05 - we charge the hourly truck rate and then add the salt charge we measure by the yard.
  3. cplow

cplow Junior Member

so how much salt do you think I would need for a parking lot of about 4800 square yards?
  4. penniesfrmhvn

penniesfrmhvn Junior Member

Its probably not the right way for a lot of people but I just look at a parking lot and say to myself, I will use half a hopper. so if it cost me 100 dollars to fill half a hopper im going to charge 200 to fill it and spread it. Where I make my money is on small jobs for 50 bucks a wack. I can fill my hopper for 200 and salt like 20 to 25 small yards for 50 bucks a drive. I do have some big accounts, but im just keeping them happy so I have the landscaping for the spring.
  5. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

that is about an acre correct? I would put down a 700 to 1000 pounds depending on the type of storm and temp.

that is a $250 to $300 spread here in NJ

salt is $120 a ton here
  6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

You have a eye like I do

a load of salt will do many small lots turn that 200 load and clear 700-800

That's why I rather see more ice then snow more money in less time
  7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

$60 that's if you have a v box and have bulk
  8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Right on. Here salt is about $75 a ton and clearlane is about $85 a ton.
  9. cplow

cplow Junior Member

Unfortunately I spread by the 50lb bag and it runs me about $8 a bag
  10. rbljack

rbljack Member
    from Texas

im following this one too. I have an acre lot where they asked me to spread salt during our last ice storm.

From my searching and reading ( I have very little practical experience which is why I subscribed...LOL), an acre should take somewhere between 500 and 1000 pounds (or more) depending on who you talk to or read online. Numbers vary greatly for that, and it depends on the conditions of the storm, snow, ice, etc....

It also seems that most who are using bags would charge 2 to 3 times the cost of each bag. So if I understand what they are saying, lets assume that acre lot will get 10 fifty pound bags of salt (500 pounds). If the bags cost 8 bucks each, that's 80 times two or three...so I think they would charge 160 to 240 bucks for that job. Again, this is all based on numerous searches I've done on this site over the last few weeks. For those with more experience, am I close on my numbers? If not, by all means call me out because I'm just learning, and want to be able to make money at this.

And this 500 pound example for the acre lot is on the low side for the amount of salt needed from what im reading on here. My thoughts are to split the difference and use 750 pounds, (15 bags @ 8 bucks each, and multiply times TWO because of the size of the lot if its a commercial area) for a total of 240 bucks. I should also mention that I would try to locate bulk salt which would increase the profit margin over bags.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  11. pressedun

pressedun Junior Member

General consensus I believe is around 20 pounds per 1000 sq ft, I'm usually well under that but it all depends on the type of snow, temps, ice and such. Figure on about 600-900 pounds per time.

Bag salt is so incredibly uneconomical it's not even funny, I have no idea how anyone can make money using bagged salt not to mention a waste of time.
  12. PALS Landscapin

PALS Landscapin Senior Member

I charge $275 a ton.
  13. MBB

MBB Senior Member

Some of us do not have the luxury of being able to use bulk salt, either because of equipment and/or storage faculties. Personally I have to use the bagged stuff and it does put one at a disadvantage somewhat- then again I have seen some of the billing from bulk guys that magically make one fill spread an area that requires several fills and bill at the several fill rate.
    Due to the ( contrived ?) salt shortage in my area prices are jumping up at a alarming rate. It was bad enough last year now it is worse with product being almost double cost wise. At least fuel is down a bit.
  14. andersman02

andersman02 Senior Member

Salt rate of roughly 500-1000 lbs/acre. We use treated stuff so its usually around 500lbs. Typically use the 3x rule. Salt applied = 3x cost of salt. We get I think our treated was 110/ton so $330/ ton applied roughly. Some people do per ton used but with using bulk and invoicing its easier just doing a per service and averaging how much salk you use.
  15. woody617

woody617 Member
    from pa

I was always told to double the price of what the cost is too you . That is going off retail prices as well not whole sale prices .
  16. TB Grass

TB Grass Junior Member
    from Ontario

salt is $110 ton here
    last year in the shortage it was $226ton if you could even find it
  17. mjk1968

mjk1968 Junior Member

When I initially did research as the rest of you 750-1000 lbs of salt per acre was the typical answer. In addition the top 2 customer complaints I heard in signing up new clients was excessive salt from their previous service provider and inconsistency in coverage of salt i.e. "you can sure see where the truck drove through my lot". Therefore, the salt rate that has been working for me with great results and no complaints of excessive salt is 230 lbs of salt per acre. In addition, I use salt push spreaders as most of my lots are small, under 1 acre and my coverage is consistent. I agree it is slower but customer satisfaction and retention are more important than a job done 15 minutes faster. As for pricing, I am getting $150 per acre and my salt costs are under $25, so I have no complaints and see no reason to increase my costs in equipment and bulk storage just to have the ability to buy salt cheaper. The ROI just isn't there for me.
  18. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Good info MJK. Welcome to plowsite
  19. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

This! I don't know how you guys would do it, charging per ton applied for salt.
  20. mtnbktrek

mtnbktrek Senior Member
    from NEPA

It's crazy - we put a ton in the truck then spread it then ! We bill