1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to price on sidewalks

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Snowman789, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Snowman789

Snowman789 Junior Member

Just curious how everyone charges on sidewalks by the push or how you do it? What you guys are getting

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I don't do sidewalks, the shovel was the worst tool ever invented.

Guys price out on there efficiency. Some use blowers, ATV's, skids, etc. Another words, no clear set price.

Paint us a pic of what you trying to accomplish.

3. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Pretty much what old said;
    I base everything on a hourly rate on how long I think it will take me for X amount of snow or ice and the amount of material I need as well as what equipment will suit me the best for the job

4. Snowman789

Snowman789 Junior Member

5. Snowman789

Snowman789 Junior Member

It's on the bottom left side of the town where it says Winthrop Samaritan society let me know if you can't find it I couldn't pin it

6. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

2 guys with blowers could knock that out in a short amount of depending on the amount of snow.

7. Snowman789

Snowman789 Junior Member

I agree the shovel is not worth it to me but no one else in my area does it so most the accounts don't have anyone and I've never done this much side walk so I don't really know what or how to charge just by looking at it

8. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

I do per push. Some want me out the whole time it's snowing, others want me out every inch or so. I pick up more (had 2, nowe everyone has them) 36" shovels and they are incredible as long as you can keep up with the snow. We rarely use the blowers anymore.

9. Snowman789

Snowman789 Junior Member

Hate to ask it but how much would you do it for on a 1to3 and 3to 6 snowfall?

10. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

3xhourly rate. $50 here. So $150 for 1-3"

Or like my competition set your hourly rate at $20/hr and multiply your employees by 2.5.
    pisses me off.

I have reviewed invoices from competitors some nationals and the fraud is sickening

11. Snowman789

Snowman789 Junior Member

How are they committing fraud on you?

12. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

I think he's stating they are charging for invisible shovelers.

13. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

Or worse charge for product not applied.

Ie. 3 tons of salt on an acre lot, 300# of ice melt on 1000ft of sidewalk.

But their bid is 1/3 of mine.
    It's a game to them purchaser only looks at bid. Account Dept pays invoices has no idea what invoice should total only what unit prices are stated in bid.yearly costs end up being 50% higher than I would have charged even though my bid looks 3x higher.

14. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Am I missing some walks or something? Are you saying it will take 3 man hours to clear that? Maybe you have an hour minimum.

15. Snowman789

Snowman789 Junior Member

Make sure your looking at the good Samaritan site not the school its not the place that's ping

16. Snowman789

Snowman789 Junior Member

Now I see what you saying sorry! Theres dirty tricks like that in this business all the time

17. Doin_It

Doin_It Senior Member
    from Mt.

A property manager called me a couple years ago to give a price as he felt he was paying to much each time. I quoted 500/time. He said it was to much.....then that summer he called to quote again. As we talked I found out the old bid was 300/time, but they came back later in the day for a check....another 300, then again in the morning to check...another 300, so in reality he was pay 900 a time.....now I know.