1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how to prevent rust behind my cutting edge?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by birddseedd, Dec 1, 2012.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

just took my cutting edge off to prepare to mount my back edge. noticed that it was rusted. lightly rusted, but still rusted. 2 seasons ago i had took a wire brush to it and got it nice and shiny then bout about 5 layers of paint on it.

anything else that can be done?

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Fluid film it before you put it back on

3. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Keep er inside all winter!

4. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

Agreed, fluid film. And clean/ and spray paint in the beginning of the season.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Fluid film rules

6. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

or even better por 15

7. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Get some stainless steel spray paint

8. birddseedd

actualy iv got a sample of fluid film. i just could never find somethign to use it on.

but im not quite sure about it. is it a lubricant? does it harden creating a shelled surface? does it stay plyable and liquidy?

suppose now iv got what iv been looking to use it on.

im also goign to start spraying the back of the edge aswell. once that rusts it helps deteriorate other materials leading to rust.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Search here for ff or fluid film. It will keep you busy for hours. There is a whole sub forum dedicated to Fluid Film

10. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Excellent concrete floor paint,terrible on metal.

11. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Interesting. I've never used the product but that assessment flies in the face of every internet forum discussion, Amazon review, and article that ever mentioned POR15. I always figured I'd use it if I ever had the budget for it. Can you elaborate on why it's terrible on metal? For that matter, how did you ever get the idea (and budget) to use it as concrete floor paint?

12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Seriously? I want to coat my garage floor easily, but with something durable. Got any references for this?

13. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I can't believe that this question was even asked and that you guys are debating this. Definitely need some snow around here.

14. birddseedd

Even ill agree to that one. Tho im glad i asked. I forgot about the can of fluid film i was sent and was dissapointed 4 layers of paint wasnt enough to protect it.

15. birddseedd

how is that related to plowing?

16. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Really! It's probalbly the last part of a plow to worry about rust.And that's coing from a guy who's obsessive(crazy) about battling rust!

17. birddseedd

when i got my plow that was the part that was rusted the most.