1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to prce out driveways and such

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Smokin139, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Smokin139

Smokin139 Junior Member

I have about 8 drivewyas that i plow regularly. Most are friends and family, but that doesnt matter right now. Ive been charging from $30-$40 dollars for 2 inches of snow or more, dont plow if its less. Does that seem resonable? Most of my drivways are longer not so wide drive ways. smallest is like 8 feet by 100 feet long that opens to a 3 car garage and a 12 foot wide by 60 feet to a 2 car garage. the bigger ones are like 11 feet by 120 feet long and 20-25 feet wide and 120-150 feet long.
    Also i may get 2 contracts to plow self storages. Im not sure on the exact size of the places, but both are on at least 4 acres of land. How do you charge something so big? One will pay me $800 for 2 inches and 1000$ for 4 or more inches.
    And should you charge double for having to come back during a big storm of like 14 inches? or charge more becase it was a lot of snow and how heavy it is?
    Sorry lots of questions, And thanks for any feedback.
  2. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

$30 - 40 sounds a little low for those driveways, but it all depends on your market.

As far as the self storage place goes, do they want a per-push contract, or a per-storm contract? If it's per-push, you would charge them per time that you plow. Per storm you would only charge them once, no matter how many times you plow. There is a big difference in the amount of time, aggravation, and wear and tear involved between 4" & 14", so you might want to put something into the contract like $800 - 2"-4", $1000 - 4"-X", and $X for each inch over 4". Personally speaking, I would rather get a per-push contract on those places, that way I could keep the amount of snow on the ground manageable, and get paid well for doing it! payup

Are they going to have you salt or sand? Do they expect that to be included in the $800-1000? If they do not want you to salt/sand, make sure that it clearly stated in the contract to limit your liability. Some storage places build up a lot of ice between the buildings, so it can be very slippery. I took a bad fall at one several years ago and gave myself a concussion (yea, that would explain a lot :dizzy:).

A lot of per-push places will only want you to plow once during a storm, and plowing a 4 acre place w/14" of snow on it SUCKS. Depending on your vehicle, you may or may not even be able to push it all! Make sure that you map out where you can and can not push the snow ahead of time, have the owner sign it, and attach it to the contract. If you are forced to push snow from one end to the other, it will make your life a living hell during a big storm, and you may even need a loader to do it.

Good luck, it sounds like it could be a sweet deal!