1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How To Plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by BeastMaster, Feb 12, 2007.

1. I've looked but can't find what I want.

Where can I get diagrams or drawings of various plow scenarios and what to do ? I.E. "T" shaped driveway start by....

Rectangular lot start by.... "L" shaped driveway w/ garage you do......

I see lots of tips on here, but I need pictures or drawings or something of how to "attack" various drives and lots. I think I spend too much time making too many passes b/c I don't know what's best for ea. type of lot to get done w/ the fewest passes.

If you plow straight in you have run out, if you angle the blade you have run out,,,,constantly wasting time cleaning up little rows etc.

I plow w/ an ATV with a 5' Moose Plow, thus I know it will take me more passes overall, but still I need to "tighten up"

I bought "How to Start A Snow Plow Business" , a "book" on DVD but it was useless. It appeared to be copied from some business plan book with various short "snow plowing" phrases thrown in and a few other tidbits. Mostly on the office aspect and not the "how to" part.

I need "how to" information. I can't ride w/ someone b/c I have already built up a little list of clients, residential and commercial, so I am out, even at night, when the "big boys" are plowing too.

If anyone can help w/ this...feel free to email directly crayls@orvcomm.com
  2. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I was trying to figure this out too, seems like the best thing is to keep trying different things while your plowing, then after about 5 plows, you can figure out which is quickest. Im still learning, ive plowed maybe 15x in my life. And I've never rode with anyone.
  3. makplow

makplow Senior Member

Plowing snow is like alot of things just use common sense? Take a little time to figure out the situation on where you want or can pile and stack the snow? try and make every move count! You will do alright with a little practice. remember chances are you will be going back to plow that site again so push the snow back as far as you can so if there is alot more snow you leave room to put it?

Have fun!!
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

You shouldn't have little piles/rows of snow
    If so, you are angling the plow back to straight too fast.
    Moving forward as much as possible is a plus, if the plow isn't down, you aren't moving snow.
    Back dragging sucks and it's slow, try to avoid it as much as possible
    Don't stack snow next to the building
    Don't stack snow on any walks
    Don't cover any drains.
    Do next to the building first and work your way away from it.
    Despite desperately needing it, don't bury any cars. :blush2:

Moving snow sideways is much faster than moving snow forward (like a street plow, they always push sideways) hard to explain.

Always make sure you are stopped before putting it in reverse.
    Your mirrors lie, don't trust your mirrors, look over.
  5. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I always suggest trying to avoid driving over snow you have to plow. Sure, some plows have down pressure and Fisher does not, so I can't speak for others' experiences, but it's sometimes a pain in the a$$ cleaning up something you've packed down. Experience & forethought will help you, and only you are gonna know your driveways. Good luck!

6. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

Ahhh.....Quads are EASSSY to plow with. Quick, and I can do a better and faster job on any residential, then with a truck.

Take some time and just go out and play around.