1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to plow...?

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by MaineMike, Jan 30, 2007.

1. MaineMike

MaineMike Member
    from Maine

I have a Sno-Way 22 on my 99 Toyota 4Runner. I've been using it for my own driveway without a hitch.

Now I have to use it for another driveway but it is a 300 foot dirt road in the woods. The road is single lane, and there are trees on both sides, not much of a shoulder at all and no place to turn into. At the end of the road there is an open area where I can turn around to head back out of the woods to the road.

So, how would you tackle this? Just drop the plow down and go straight ahead? Angle the plow one way? It's about two feet of snow the entire road.
  2. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Angle it and push it off to the side. Turn around and do it again.

If you have to then you can make another quick run at it to cut it back.
  3. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I'd angle to the right & bust a cut down the middle. Then at the end in the open area, clear a big turnaround spot (which you probably want to do eventually anyway, right?). Make a few extra passes up & down the road to widen, pushing the windrows back as much as the truck will allow. Should work out all right for ya. Good luck!

I'd avoid doing 2' of snow all at once, though. It's gonna beat the snot out of your truck (or anyone's, actually). Do it 4-6" at a time, even if it's not the cleanest job while it's still snowing. Clean it all up in the daylight when things are done.

4. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Sorry,I guess I over-simplified it.

Do what YardMedic said. He explained it better.

Good luck.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

With that much snow...TAKE YOUR TIME. Don't go flying down the road and break something, On dirt or gravel when I hear the blade digging gravel I raise it just a little to keep the dirt or gravel from tearing up the blade and it leaves it where it is supposed to be, on the road.
  6. Rickco

Rickco Member

Are you really going to try to push through 2 feet of snow for 300 feet with a 4Runner? I am not putting you down,honestly,I wish you nothing but the best.:eek:
  7. MaineMike

MaineMike Member
    from Maine

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's a tall order. I'll take some signal flares along just in case.....

Thanks for the replies, amigos. This helps. I feel a little dumb for asking but I've never tackled a driveway this long before.

PS - My son tells me I'm way off and that I'm only looking at about a foot of snow, and not two feet. He may be right.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Push it like you'd cut high grass, keep the blade up and push the top 6 inches or so.
    then go back and push the next 6 inches and so on until you have it down to the roadway.
  9. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

I want to know where there is 2' of snow in Maine?

I got sledding to do.
  10. MaineMike

MaineMike Member
    from Maine

Thanks Basher - that is another idea.

The only thing I'm trying to avoid is being stuck.
    Very rural area, no neighbors, no phone.....not at least for 5 miles anyway. Cell service is practically nonexistent. Wind chill lately at -20. But I'm taking precautions!
    I'm a worrier.
  11. MaineMike

MaineMike Member
    from Maine

Hasn't been a good season for skiiing, boarding or sledding. There's the National Toboggan Championships next week in Camden, however.
  12. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I would push as far off to the side on the first passes as you possibly can. With a truck that light you will have a hard time pushing back large windrows. So if you just run down the middle with the plow angled and then go by it again to push it back plus plow some more snow your truck might slide. Also, you won't get very far trying to push with the blade straight. You could run with it fully angled, and then try angling towards straight as much as you can but without killing the roll, and don't go too fast or you will break something.
  13. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

I know but where is the 2 feet you mention? I did not think anywhere in Maine had that much.
  14. I didn't think anywhere outside of colorado had that much!

wow, 2' is a lot. Take of the top half or less and come back and get the rest like basher said. If at all possible for next time, plow as the snow is falling.
  15. MaineMike

MaineMike Member
    from Maine

Two words for you:
    Western Maine.
  16. MaineMike

MaineMike Member
    from Maine

Accumulation map: