1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to Plow with a Skidsteer / Blade?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LyaecS175, Sep 25, 2008.

1. LyaecS175

LyaecS175 Junior Member
    from RST

We got a new Bobcat S175 and 7ft snow blade to plow our driveway in the winter, but I've never plowed with a skid before so I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks.

Do I want to leave the arms in float while I'm plowing with the blade so that the little pads it rides on guide the blade up and down along the driveway or do i want to try to keep the angle of the blade adjusted using the hydraulics? It's our own concrete driveway so I'd rather not rip it up...

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

You can apply pressure to your blade without too much concern. The fact that you've got shoes on your blade will prevent any damage from occurring.

The best "tip" I can give you is to just practice and you'll be a pro in no time.

3. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I would keep it in float most of the time, unless your trying to remove hard pack snow or ice. Just a safer practice, theres nothing like introducing your face to the windshield. But I imagine your plow has a trip system of some kind. I've done that with the bucket in my tractor a few times.

4. LyaecS175

LyaecS175 Junior Member
    from RST

Yea plow has a spring trip thankfully, but hopefully I won't be running in to any curbs or steps being as it is our own driveway and I think I know it pretty well.

Thanks for the suggestion float vs downpressure... will be clearing fresh snow so hopefully float will do the trick without tearing up the concrete.

5. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I really wouldnt worry about tearing up concrete its the old falling apart asphalt that you have to worry about.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Well, not sure with a SS but float does not work for loaders, so you may not have a choice.

I have a bad feeling we're starting this whole thing all over again.

7. LyaecS175

LyaecS175 Junior Member
    from RST

Float doesn't work for loaders? I use the float with my bucket all the time when back dragging to smooth dirt out... Haven't tried it with the blade yet.

8. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Make sure the blade is curled back correctly so that the blade angle isn't too severe. We run a blizzard power plow on our skidsteer and in scoop posistion especially it can dig in if the operator forgets to keep the blade curled back.

9. Mark Oomkes

Not for plowing. I'll try to dig up that thread, I really have no desire of retyping it.

10. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

if the plow has a chain lift (most will)

let the boom sit on the stop at the bottom, then roll out the bucket until the chain slackens then when it is time to lift the plow simply raise the boom then when you let it down it will be set

if the plow is solid mounted, put the boom in the float position then roll the bucket out until the boom raises of the stops a few inches or untill the blade is at the right angle

11. Mark Oomkes

12. LyaecS175

LyaecS175 Junior Member
    from RST

This is a skid steer plow that mounts with the quick attach plate instead of the bucket and uses the bucket tilt for up/down and the aux hydraulics for the left/right movement.

13. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

i realize that when i said bucket i meant the bucket tilt

When you get that plow on it will be pretty easy to figure out

Good luck

14. LyaecS175

LyaecS175 Junior Member
    from RST

Thanks guys, I now understand the point about float removing the weight from the front wheels... I guess I'll just have to try it out once we get some snow.