1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how to plow this gradient?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by birddseedd, Nov 16, 2011.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

the image i drew is a rough drawing to try to
    show you what I'm talking about. instead of the curb inclining down to the pavement the pavement inclines up to the curb creating a "ramp" up to the sidewalk. if i were to set the plow on that gradient fully, then the plow would tilt with the corner of the plow digging into the pavement. the only way i can think of how to do it is to lower the pure onto the ramp/Bump, not fully in float then back up and try to lower the plow as i back up so that the pliw stays level until it can rest on flat pavement. what is the proper way?

filled in part is blade, flat line is pavement, and the safe with verticle lines is ramp going up to sidewalk.

2. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

Can you take pics of the site in question? That drawing is tough to tell
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

4. birddseedd

drew it with my finger on my phone, can try to get a pic later tonight
  5. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

plow it like you would flat pavement then throw salt down to take care of what you missed or you can try an old school trick called shoveling :)
  6. birddseedd

sorry, got home after dark.

i might have to shovel, tho we have crews out doing all of the shoveling.

do you know how they lower the area of a sidewalk down to the pavement, so you can go up the sidewalk with a wheel chair. well, this place kinda did the opposite. the sidewalk doesn't lower to the pavement, but the pavement raises to the sidewalk (in that spot in the corners)

what basically will happen, one end of my plow will rest on the "bump" that is raising up to the sidewalk, and the plow will angel down with the corner of the edge digging into the pavement. (most plows would probably stay level,but mine is old and will tilt left and right).

i did a simular thing last year. one driveway had a sidewalk that stepped up a few inches above; accept at the very end, where it sloped down to the pavement. when my blade got on the slope it raised that side of the plow an inch or so which put all of the pressure on the very end of the blade and scraped a nice gash into the sloped part of the sidewalk.

this is kind of the same thing, you walk up a short incline in the pavement to get to the sidewalk.

i think ill either have to shovel that part of the incline, or try to lower the blade keeping the one end level on the incline and the other end of the blade in the air until i get down the incline to level pavement.
  7. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

pull up perpendicular to it, drop the blade on the sidewalk, and backdrag down the slope
  8. birddseedd

ya,that's the first thing in going to try. it'll be though with my older pure though.
  9. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

X2. Might also backdrag on each side of the ramp also to pull the snow away from the curb and then plow around the ramp.

On one of my jobs I have a ramp coming out into a parking lot. I plow up the ramp, over the sidewalk and dump the snow on a grassy area beyond. Every situation is different. On another lot, I just jump out and shovel all the snow off the handicap ramp into the lot. Then plow it away.
  10. camp61

camp61 Member

I agree, pull it back where possible then come back the other way to move it. Clean up with shovel if necessary.