1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to pay subs on residential driveways

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by 7441aaron, Aug 23, 2011.

1. 7441aaron

7441aaron Junior Member

I am going to be getting some drives to plow this winter but I will need someone with there own truck to cover for me If I break down or am unable to plow for whatever reason. If I am charging per driveway how should I pay this guy to make it worth his while but still make some money off the top? Do I pay him per drive? or per hour? If its a $30 drive and I pay him $20 Its still 10 bucks for me but is that good enough for a guy with a truck and equipment to pay for? Is there a percentage I should be trying to get off the top to make this simpler or is it to each his own. Just looking for some ideas out there. Ive been a sub for 10 years and I am ready to start doing this myself this year. I am trying to focus on residential drives and maybe some small commercial.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

First what is this guy doing if he's not plowing for you? Is he plowing himself and will cover for you? If you do break down and he plows for you give he whatever it will cost because if you don't plow out these drives you'll lose more.
  3. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

So you're looking for a second stringer to be on stand by for when you fail...and still want to make 30 percent off them?

They're kind of hard to come by.
  4. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

I did this for a guy. I basically told him my price on the driveway. If he charged more, he made some. If not, he didn't make anything.
  5. snocrete

snocrete Banned

buy a backup truck
  6. Landgreen

Landgreen Member

Yep. Buy a backup truck and have a sub ready. Since it is an on call type of work he should make enough so it is worthwhile. Odds are you would only need him once or twice per winter so not a huge loss for yourself.
  7. 7441aaron

7441aaron Junior Member

What if I get enough customers to have 2 trucks run? Buying a another truck right now isnt really an option. If I bought another truck it would just sit all year and do nothing as I am a self employed mechanic and have no use for another truck other than in the winter. I dont want to screw the guy over either I just want enough to get covered on the paperwork and dealing with customers. Subs (at least where I was subbing for) dont pay a whole lot around here. Thats why Im done with that and trying to get some ideas on fair pricing for my own sub. This guy normally just plows his own drive and if he dont plow for me he will not do anything. He is someone with common sense that wont snap someones well head off or something like that.
  8. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

When I had subs, years ago before I had enough equipment to handle things, I would keep 5 dollars off the top. If it was an 80 dollar lot, or a 35 dollar driveway. I know I couldn't pay my bills off of what I made, if I needed to use him, but if I didn't pay him enough to make it worth his time, then he wouldn't cover for me next time.
  9. Theshoemaker

Theshoemaker Senior Member

It's hard to find someone to just work "on-demand"..How would that work out??? I would think that if you could'nt keep him busy EVERY SNOWSTORM, He would find his own driveways/lots or work for another contractor.If it were me, I would A. Buy a beater spare truck for you to drive in the event of a breakdown Or B). Get a decent route together and split it everytime you have to go out. That way if you or him have a breakdown there will always be a truck out to service the customers.. I personally would never pay per driveway, In the past, I paid hourly..