1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how to pay help?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rmartin, Jan 29, 2004.

1. rmartin

rmartin Member
    from mass

I have a driver that assists me in snowplowing. My driver plows 2 of my parking lots along with shoveling a couple small sidewalks. My question is how do i pay? If i pay by the hour it is not really worth it for him to come out since it only takes maybe a total of 1.5 hours to complete. Except for the storms like yesterday where I had to go back 2 times. Then I figured i'd split the profits 50/50 for the 2 lots but i'm not sure about that either. One thing i did do was I gave my driver all of my residential driveways to plow so there is a little money, but i need to make it profitable for him as well as me.
  2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

If he is driving your truck than he shouldn't make more than $20.00 an hour. This would even be more than if he was just a snow grunt (shoveler). If the total time you two go out is only 1.5 hours than ask yourself "Is it really worth it to have 2 trucks out at once for such little work?" I would throw him $50.00 and call it a day.
  3. badranman

badranman Senior Member

I agree with the meister, why do you have 2 trucks? If you do need 2 then you also must make it worth his while. There should be a minimum amount that you pay him. I agree with the $50.00.
  4. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Its easy, put yourself in his shoes, now what do you think is fair? And the next time i would fig this all out up front...Rob
  5. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Here is the formula I use for paying drivers & subs. Driver, MY truck, makes 20% of what truck makes per hour. My 80% covers fuel, maintenance, insurance, etc, and profit. Sub with truck is paid 45% of what is billed per hour. Sub pays all his own expenses. My 55% pays GL, billing and collecting expenses, etc, and profit. Hand crews(shoveler & blower) get 80% of whats billed. Our hand crews are billed as a separate line item. My 20% covers GL, billing, etc., and profit. Hand crew is basically a wash. Right or wrong this is how I have done it for years and it works for me. payup payup
  6. rmartin

rmartin Member
    from mass

the reason i have 2 trucks is because i spend most of my time doing a pretty large mall parking lot as a sub. I picked up 6 other small lots this year. I find it easier to have someone else take 2 of them that are out of my way. therefore i can take care of 4 plus take in pretty good money as a sub.. My other person uses his own truck.