1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to Paint a skid steer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by ford6.9, Apr 16, 2010.

1. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

So I am looking to paint a bobcat and was wondering if someone could share with me how to do some from A to Z. What paints to use what I will need to do some how much prep I should be doing.
  2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

A paint brush
  3. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Spray cans.
  4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I think for it to look right you'd have to spray it. And not with rattle cans.

I'd drag out the HVLP paint guns, inline air dryers, respirators, the whole 9 yards. I think that's probably the easiest, fastest, and the way that will look the best.
  5. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Thanks I was looking for an aswer along those lines. I have never done any painting along these lines so if you could maybe go on a little more. I am a landscaper and know that well but painting is not my thing, so I am asking to learn. I would like it to look nice and clean as it doesnt look that bad now.
  6. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

We've tocuhed up / painted whole machine with spray cans from bobcat. For a do it yourself job, with no sandblasting it came out really good. It comes down to how much you want to put into it. this was on our older yard machine, so having a factory paint job was not the goal just a quick face lift.
  7. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

There is some fifteen year old girl from Miami who submerges their machine for cleaning purposes. Perhaps She could give you some tips and you can dip it.:mechanic::laughing:
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then simply fill the pond with paint and run it in again. Viola, done. :D
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Definitely the fastest and most effective way to do it.
  11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Just remember they don't float so keep a roped tied to it for easy retrievel.....lol
  12. dgc

dgc Junior Member

I do this for a living. the best thing to do is get it sandblasted first . Than put a good coat of a good expoxy primer on it than your paint 3 coats.
  13. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

This is the way I did it a couple of years ago, found decals on ebay.
    Looks great for an 11 yr old ss.