1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how to organize your snow route?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MJK, Nov 30, 2010.

1. MJK

MJK Member

I have been given a 12 stop snow route from a contractor. The sites are all listed randomly. I was wondering if anyone knows of a site or software that can be used to make it organized and in order if you know what i mean.

Something that will put it in order from my house or vice versa.

Thanks in advance.
  2. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

Google Maps will do that
  3. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Did you drive the route yet that would be the easies....you don't want to figure it out the during first storm. I took my new snow blowing guy out to show him his route and he took and set it up on paper himself (old school) he wrote down everything that needed to be done at each account.
  4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

You need to drive the route yourself, and take pictures of everything before there is snow on the ground. That way nobody can come back on you in the spring and say you tore something up. While you are doing that, figure out your route to suit your needs.
  5. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

well seeing as this is 2010 u can use this thing called the computer to get online.
    go to mapquest router and it will do up to 26 stops for u either by miles or shortest time
  6. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Microsoft Streets and Trips with route and optimize.
  7. Neige

Neige Sponsor

8. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I would think whoever gave you these jobs might want to have some input. Our routes are based on not only driving distances, but priority of customer/opening time/etc.
  9. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Exactly good input
  10. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Depending on trigger amounts and priority, I usually start my route in the area where the storm is moving in from, ie. west to east. That way the time between the snow ending and providing service is minimized.

STRONGARM Senior Member

This should be your first move!
  12. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

I plow mine by opening times. I have my accounts set up that i have some that are open 24/7 some open at 6 some open at 8 some open at 11. That way i can work my way around to them. I do have some that are next to each other and open at 8 and 11, so they get plowed at the same time.