1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to obtain commercial accounts?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by wiseguyslawn, Nov 1, 2008.

1. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn Senior Member

How did all you guys with years of experience accumulate your commercial accounts, Not the big walmarts that you need loaders, but ones you can do with a couple trucks. Thanks fellas, Think snow!
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Phone calls,letters, word of mouth,advertising.
  3. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

Every year around the 1st of sept. I send out aprox. 50 to 100 post cards to businesses that I would like to plow. Of these only probably 3 to 4 call me , but thes seem to be the ones interested. so of that 4 maybe I'll get 1 or maybe 2. Give them great service, dont just say that you do, actually do it... This may take you several years to get to where you want to be, but this is how I did it. Letter your trucks, get seen. Sell year round, if your talking to someone in June, ask them about plowing then, then give them an estimate later in the year. I've already talked to 2 businesses this fall that already have signed contracts for this winter, next September I'll be there..
  4. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

All of the above, also I have stopped into many places late in the summer just to ask if they will be looking for anyone to do snowplowing in the coming year. I ask if they have been happy with their service and usually this gets a conversation going. Can't forget the good old recommendation too:drinkup:
  5. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Your pretty much to late for this year. Check out the ones, you would like for next year, pay attention how they are done and with what equipment, and go for it.
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Word of mouth is the best. Do quality work and word will travel.
    Plan ahead for next year. Too late for this year IMO
  7. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

take time and meet the store managers. if you are going for small lots, generally you'll be working with the store manager or owner. meet them, introduce yourself and just know that commercial lots are very competitive so you have to sell them on a better service or more service for their money.