1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to mount Lightbar on soft top Wrangler?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by westbrooklawn, Nov 23, 2004.

1. westbrooklawn

westbrooklawn Member

Has anyone fabricated a mount for a light bar to use on a jeep wrangler with a soft top? I have some ideas, but don't want to re-invent the wheel if someone has a good solution. Post pics if you do!
  2. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

why don't you just buy the bar that attaches to the windshield frame. THey sell for about $100. at 4wd.com
  3. mdd

mdd Member

i had herd some models can make putting the soft top up/down a pain

i opted for the 2 windshield mounted light brackets that bolt right on and threw 2 KC daylighters on there.

that would be my suggestion, easy adjustment of beams and their hella powerful while keeping your clearance the same! :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:
  4. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

mickey mouse

I have the same problem. my thoughts magnetic light,with metal plate on inside. the model I want to use plugs into the cig lighter. and if put on the passenger side the wire can be between the top and frame over the door.
    if put in the right place the weight can be on the roll bar.
  5. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

make sure you don't put that thing over your head. Don't want to bang into a curb and have that thing flying off. :nono:
  6. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

after driving a cargo van for 9 years I must agree with you. when you hit the brakes all is a projectile..
  7. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Had 5 jeeps what i did was weld a bracket in the back bummper to hold 1" square tube with plate on top for lite mount.Also used quick diconect for wires and set screws for the mount for easy removal. And i also placed backup lite under the plate for extra lite.
  8. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

I agree, i think the easiest way to do it is to make a mount that extends up from your hitch reciever....
  9. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

mine was in the driver side of the rear bummper so it did not block rear view durring plowing
  10. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

Hey westbrook give ROYALT91 a pm he has a soft top and runs a magnetic strobe he fabbed a plate that mounts to the top of the winsheild and rolls back on the top seems to work out preety good for him. drop him a line i'm sure he'd be happy to help
  11. tjeff

tjeff Junior Member

Saw something similar to this, he used 2" square stock to fit into his reciever
    hitch and with a 90 weld, had a bubble light attached to to the top of the rear.
    I had a weld in cage with the rear spreader bar welded in on top and zip tied
    internal strobes to the bar and ran them off the cig lighter.
    (sorry, never took pics and just sold it)
    I'll be doing this same thing to my new one.
    Three strobes (both sides and one rear.)
    I only use them when backing out into the street, otherwise I keep them off.

12. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

jeep beacon

my solution to this was to use 3/4" black pipe, fab some brackets that go to the spare tire carrier bolts, then I used a flange & welded flat stock to it for the size of my rotary beacon. I will take some pics and post if you want.
  13. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I cant imagine plowing with a softtop when its 15 degrees out, brrrrrr!

I see hardtops for jeeps selling with doors for $500 or so, I would get one of those for the winter.
  14. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

A soft top isn't really cold, but it doesn't have defrost, a wiper, and an easy to open rear hatch like a hardtop does. A hardtop for a TJ will go for about $1000 and up used.

I would recommend strobes in the front parking lights, and yellow strobes in the rear reverse lights, that's the setup I was going to go with before I decided to stop plowing with my TJ. I actually fabricated a spare tire mast like brunosplace described, although it never snowed again after I built it, so I never got to use it.

15. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Pole Light!
  16. brunosplace

I do have a hardtop on mine but I didn't want to drill into it to put a perm mount light on it. and a magnet wont stick to fiberglass, so I had to do something for it.
  17. brunosplace

light post

18. Tom97Wrangler

Tom97Wrangler Junior Member
    from Pa

Hardtop discussion

Regarding the hardtop discussion. I was going to get one when I first bought my jeep but have since put in a remote starter and I'm thrilled with it so that I don't even need the hardtop. I used a DirectStart324T from 12voltshop.com and also went with the starter kill which saves me 15% on my insurance. It was easy to install and the wiring diagrams can be found for the jeep on bulldogsecurity.com.
  19. '76cj5

'76cj5 Member

I like the rear mount but I mounted mine on the windshield hinge because my window frame is fiberglass. Helps to get up into the jeep also.

I made it high enough to see from any direction
  20. Doc_77

Doc_77 Junior Member

nice Jeep !
    makes me miss mine even more :(