1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to mount Control on a Unimount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by TEEJAY, Jan 1, 2008.

1. TEEJAY

TEEJAY Junior Member
    from NE PA

I have been plowing for 6 years and finally my shoulder soreness has gotten to me.

How and were do you have your control mounted? Mine is attached to my dash and reaching for it leaves me with a sore shoulder after 8 hours of plowing. Any ideas (outside of buying a joystick) would be appreciated (with pictures).

Thanks

2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

you could always glue it to some velcro strap and strap it to your leg...... Then all a gotta do is put your hand in your lap....

3. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

A lot of commercially available cell phone / PDA holders work well. Or check out Galls for their mounts. Flexible pole that you can lock in almost any position. I like to mount my controller within comfortable reach of my left handso that I can shift and move the plow at the same time.

4. kennyrain

kennyrain Member

mount it on the left side next to the light switch.

5. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I am using the flex arm mount that my Western dealer sells. I can bend it to any angle I want and put my arm on the arm rest and never have to move my arm except to shift. It has a powerful magnet on the bottom so at the end of the season I just take it out of the truck.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  6. doh

doh Senior Member

That's where I have mine.

Are you sure it is the controler, or looking over your shoulder while backing up, that is causing the problem?

7. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

In my old 92 chevy with the joystick, I had it mounted on the dash by the shifter that way my hand could rest on the shifter and toggle the joystick and shifting was easy and no reaching. Somewhere in the area of the arrow, best I could do for a pic for you.

dash sample.jpg

8. TEEJAY

TEEJAY Junior Member
    from NE PA

I think I will look for a cell phone or PDA mount, that seems like a good idea and my arm could stay on the armrest. Thanks for all the ideas!

9. doh

doh Senior Member

Your right arm is moving the gear shift, your left arm is free.

10. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

who is maning the steering wheel? :D

11. TEEJAY

TEEJAY Junior Member
    from NE PA

Good question! I need 3 hands! :D

12. Philbilly2

I put mine down in the center console so I can lean back and run it.

I use my left hand to run the wheel my right to run the shifter and the joystick.

13. TEEJAY

TEEJAY Junior Member
    from NE PA

Yep, that is what I'm looking to do so I can eliminate having to reach all the way to the dash.

14. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Ummm. what about a hand held???

15. Philbilly2

BNC, there you go thinking outside of the box again! :D

By the way, Teejay, what truck are we dealing with with what interior package.

I have quite a few pictures of trucks that I have made mounts for and if I have any of the truck you have i will post the pictures that I have. -Phil

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  16. TEEJAY

TEEJAY Junior Member
    from NE PA

97 F 250 Light Duty. XLT package with center console and and individual captains chairs. I can't justify buying a handheld because the stick works and the plow is probably 10-15yrs old ( I bought it used). Sure would be nice though!

17. 04red2500

04red2500 Member
    from MI

go to the lumber yard and buy some wood and make an arm rest to mount the joystick to then pad it and put some old carpet on it thats what i have in all my trucks and all the guys love it

18. 04red2500

04red2500 Member
    from MI

go to the lumber yard and buy some wood and make an arm rest to mount the joystick to then pad it and put some old carpet on it thats what i have in all my trucks and all the guys love it

Also if any one has a joystick for a mvp and would like to trade for a hand held let me know cause i hate my hand held 04red2500@comcast.net