1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to mount '98 alternator on a 350

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 75gmck25, Oct 23, 2005.

1. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

I have a (nearly) complete serpentine setup from a '98 or '99 5.7 pickup, and I've finally gotten around to trying to mount it on my '75 GMC truck (which has a GM Performance Products 350).

The newer water pump and PS pump bracket (PS mounts on the driver's side) look like they will bolt up without any problem, but I'm trying to figure out how the alternator bracket is mounted on the passenger side of the block, and it looks like I might be missing some pieces.

The alternator bracket (its one piece) has three mounting holes, in a triangular shape. However, my block has only one mounting hole, in the top, outside corner. On the old alternator (a 10si) the rest of the brackets bolted to threaded holes on the water pump and to the intake manifold.

Even if my block was threaded for three holes to mount the newer bracket, it looks like the new bracket would be mounted too far over to clear the water pump.

It seems like there must be something else that bolts to the block or intake manifold to hold the alternator bracket, but I don't have another truck to take a look at and check.

Anybody have a picture or description of what I might be missing? I'm also willing to try to tap additional holes, if that's what it takes.

Thanks,

Bruce

2. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

The older block doesn't have all the holes necessary. I think you could drill and tap but I don't know for sure.

3. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

I know this doesn't help you much but it is all I know.

4. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

It looks like drill and tap may be the only option. I have to consider if its worth the effort.

My original reason for the switch was to get a higher output alternator and newer comressor, but there may be easier ways to make those upgrades.

Thanks,

Bruce

5. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

I went through this years ago with a Z28 I had. Wanted to put the new serp style bet sytem on, looks better, works better and more efficient. Plus you have the spring tension so you loose the squeeling belt from time to time. May be worth it. Look into a chevy discussion forum, maybe a google search.